Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

formula feeding on long haul flights from HK

kam2350 is offline Registered User

formula feeding on long haul flights from HK

I need advice on how to safely feed my baby her powdered formula on a long haul CX flight to NYC next week. Ive never flown with her before and I am quite stressed about how its all going to go - especially the feeds.

How much pre-boiled water will HK airport allow in my carry on? Their website says unlimited baby milk/juice/food but nothing specifically about preboiled water to use for formula while on board.
    Will the water on board the flight be boiled and safe to use?
    Or should i premake all of her bottles with the powder and water already mixed? On the packaging though it does recommend not to premake due to hygiene reasons.
    I also readay even suing bottled water is unsafe for infants unless it too is boiled and cooled before preparing the feed.

I do actually have premade formula cartons that i could take but its a different brand to what my DD is currently using - is it worth changing her formula for the flight to/from NYC and take her regular formula to use while there?

Would especially love to here from anyone who has done a hk - USA - HK flight with powdered formula recently.

THANKS

littlebbmonkey is offline Registered User
    I recently flew from HK to the UK with my LO. If you are traveling with the baby, airport security are ok with you taking a flask of boiling water. Cathay do have hot water on board which I did not use. I don't trust water boiled on flights because the water does not reach 100 degrees celsius in high altitudes. However, you can ask the shops for boiling water before you board, or there are water units for you to fill up your flask in departures at Hong Kong Airport. I put cold boiled water into one bottle and used that for the first feed, then on board I put boiled water into a clean bottle to allow it to cool for the next feed.

Definitely do not pre-mix the water with the powder as it is only sterile for up to 2 hours.

Bottled mineral water is not good for babies because if the mineral content.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We just used water from the plane. It's what they serve passengers with so it's potable. They have both hot and cold available.

You could also simply buy Watsons water after security checks at the airport.

dreamgate is offline Registered User
    You can also buy evian or volvic which are bottled mineral water that can be used for babies.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure about using bottled water. See this article from Annerley: Which water to use for baby formula in Hong Kong - Annerley advises

Anyways, if i buy a bottle of water airside, its likely to be taken from me at the second checkpoint at the boarding gate (this happens for all flights to US and Oz).

I'm not sure what reason Annerley have for stating all water must be boiled and cooled prior to using in formula mixup. I've just used tap water without any issues here in Hong Kong, no need to boil in my experience.

Does breast milk get boiled and cooled when nursing? There are far more bacteria in breast milk than drinking water. Why does potable tap water need to be boiled... it's not like it's not treated before it gets delivered through our taps here.

I think there is a lot of rubbish written on this subject. If mineral water is so bad for children, are there issues with children raised in the French Alps or whenever Evian is sourced from? Or children raised in any other region with natural "mineral water"? Even boiling and cooling doesn't remove minerals from water, so any formula delivered there is going to be made with mineral water.

We've never sterilized either - just regular washing with soap and warm water - again no issues...

Fair point 2010-NewDad. So everyone thinks I should stick to her usual powdered formula and get water at the airport rather than use another brand of premixed formula just for the flight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast