Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First time mother - what to do and not to do

BebeG922 is offline Registered User
    Hello DH23,

I am so sorry you are getting such poor advice. I would gather a second even third opinion. As someone who has always been active, I find it appalling and nonsensical that any medical doctor would dispense with such old-wives folkish advice.

Unless you are deemed high-risk (yes I know given your *age* your doctor may deem you high risk) such as having an incompetent cervix or have an increased risk of miscarriage (if you have had miscarriages before), then YOU should be exercising.

I am now in my 2nd trimester and have gotten the opinions of 3 doctors. 2 out of 3 gave me the okay to continue working out. Granted nothing overly strenuous such as starting a marathon.

The less you move and the less active you are the more bloated, fatigued and disgusting you will feel. The advice I have also received from women who have been there done that (such as my helper, my masseuse and friends who have all had kids, granted yes I understand they are not medical experts) is that YOU should move and exercise. It will help you when the onset of labor starts and help make your labor a smooth one.

IN my first trimester, I got turned away by a lot of places in Hong Kong, including the Pilates studio I frequented. It is in my humble opinion that Chinese and Hong Kong-ers are extremely conservative, perhaps to an uneducated fault when it comes to pregnancy. You are pregnant, not disabled. Exercise does not bring on miscarriage as relayed to me by my close friend, a PharmD, and by a relative, who is a practicing medical doctor in the U.S.

If in doubt, you can always reference What To Expect When You're Expecting, Pregnancy, Baby, Babies, Toddler, Parenting -- WhatToExpect.com
    I have a copy of the book but sometimes still use the online web site as a reference. In the meantime, get moving but just don't start any marathons or go sky-diving.

Best of luck!

DH,

yes most private docs want you to return frequently to help cover their rent and put them in them in the black. I ignored what the private OB said here and cross-referenced with the doc in the U.S. as I have found it excessive.

btc
    btc is offline Registered User
    @DH273 - it does seem close, but I imagine that it's because your first scan was so early on. I had my first scan at 6W5D, we saw the yolk sac, embryo and heartbeat (though it was still too early to hear). The Dr took the crown-rump measurement of the embryo to determine how far I was along and whether that corresponded to my estimate from LMP. My second scan was at 12 weeks.

DH273 is offline Registered User
    Hi all

I had another scan today and still no heart beat! My last period was 6 th July so I should be ten weeks today since my last periods.. The doc says may be I will have to end this pregnancy .. She said the foetal sack has not even grown in size when compared to my last scan on 1 st sept..

Has asked me to come back on the 29 th sept and asked me not to keep my hopes high..

Says the body may be rejecting the egg..

Thanks for all your advice .. I did do some light walking over the last week but nothing too strenuous ..

I am quite depressed to say the least

Thanks
    DH

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Hi--

sorry to hear about this piece of news. All you can do is hope for the best.

Best of luck

BebeG922

DH273 is offline Registered User
    Thanks you for your kind words

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

You are more than welcome. Just know that whatever you did or did not do has no bearing on this outcome of this pregnancy so do not blame yourself. Again, best of luck.

BebeG922

Vijaya is offline Registered User
    Hello, I think you should do minimum 30 mins walking daily,it helped me a lot for normal delivery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast