Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Birthing at Queen Mary-- how long did you stay?

catan is offline Registered User

Birthing at Queen Mary-- how long did you stay?

This will be my second baby, but first time at QMH. With my first, labor was relatively quick and no complications, baby nursed fine. I thought the 3 day stay was too long.

Assuming no complications and baby breastfeeds fine, etc., how long would I need to stay at the hospital?

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    I stayed 1 night and signed myself out "against doctors recommendations". Loads of people do this, if you feel you are ready to go home just start asking as soon as possible, remember to also ask the paed to discharge your baby. I was discharged in the morning but had to wait the whole day for the Paed to come round again and discharge my baby as I somehow missed them on their morning rounds... Think they came round when my baby was taken to be bathed...

Thanks TraceyHat. Did you follow up with any care for yourself and baby afterwards at the hospital or clinic?

I think it was a Friday that we were discharged and we went to our MCHC for the baby check-up on the Monday... They told us at the hospital when and where to go... I also had the best of both package from Annerley which includes some home visits afterwards. The midwife checked my daughter and offered to check me out but I declined, everything went well and I felt fine... I just had the check up at the MCHC which I think is after 8 weeks if I remember correctly...

How often did you have the home visit from Annerley? Did you find them useful? I'm debating whether or not to get the home visit package.

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by catan View Post
    How often did you have the home visit from Annerley? Did you find them useful? I'm debating whether or not to get the home visit package.
    We had midwife visits from Annerley (5 visit package). It was helpful in the beginning, as first time parents we had lots of questions, and it was reassuring.

We had 2 visits. Back the their packages were structured a bit differently. It was a great help but I honestly didn't need any more than that... Second time round I doubt I'll even get the home visits. Our MCHC was so great and we also went to another baby clinic that was really nice and I really enjoyed the chance to get out. Totally depends on you though, I know people that swear by the 5 visit package!