Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Is the air pollution and summer's humidity that bad?

Katong Laksa is offline Registered User

Is the air pollution and summer's humidity that bad?

I have a 4 and a 3 years old girls.
    My German husband finds that HK's air is just not suitable for toddlers.
    And the humidity during the summer will just lock us indoor.
    Will we be happy in HK?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Mingaling is offline Registered User

I have a 6 month old baby girl and I find it difficult to raise her here. Summers are so hot and humid (not to mention the bad air quality) that we don't get that much outdoor time (which is important to me). I am hoping the cooler months will get easier. Will be moving out of HK and back to NY soon for that reason.

Perhaps it's also where I live... HK island gets alot of traffic pollution and since I am near the pier, I get a lot of the pollution from the boats as well.

Impatienz is offline Registered User

I have only been in Hong Kong for a month now, so I can only tell you what the month of September has been like. The heat and humidity is insane. Absolutely insanely hot. The pollution has its good days and bad days, but I've yet to keep my two year old son inside because of it. Generally, I wait until later afternoon / evenings to take him out to the parks and what not for some exercise. There are lots of indoor play places (many of which you need to pay for) but I have yet to try any out. The air isn't great, at all, but it's better in certain areas and during certain times. There are many parents here who question the welfare of their children's health with the air pollution issue and what the long term affects would mean. :/ I sadly have no answer for you as to if it's a worthwhile venture for you and your family or not.

I honestly have found this month to be a bit unbearable. Even my kid can only handle a little bit of time outside before he's asking to go in in the middle of the day. I've been told that the months of June, July, and August are even WORSE. So. Take that for what it is. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to next summer, however I'm told Fall and Winter are absolutely lovely! We'll see. ;)

Just know that the hot time lasts from May to September/October, with the humidity and heat.

Do know that through all the cons, we are generally enjoying our new Hong Kong home! It's an interesting experience as a whole to live in a totally different culture! I look forward to my children (and myself!) learning a new language and gaining new insights in life with living here! :D

Kt2231437 is offline Registered User

Summer isn't the most humid time in HK, it's really Spring time (around March April) that's the worst. Although summer can be pretty scary for people like me (I am from California!) It was quite intolerable during the first year, but surprisingly it got better once I am into my second summer. The good thing here is that you pretty much get air conditioning EVERYWHERE and sometimes I'd rather I don't get any because they are FREEZING!

Anyhow...all i wanted to say is, you get use to it after a while and you really do. I was wearing my tank top during my first winter here...and guess what..I need to wear thick jackets now! (not the down jacket....i m not there yet)

Good luck to you and your family. I do love Hong Kong so hopefully you will too!