Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper and Xmas

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User

Helper and Xmas

Hi all,

I would be grateful to have some insights or experience sharing here: my helper started working for me a year ago, and now asked for 2 week off during Xmas and asked me to buy her flight tickets. This is my first time using a helper so I am trying to get some sense of the common practice, at the same time, I don't want her to take my niceness for granted and think I will give everything that she asks for.
    Am I right that she is only entitled to 7 days paid leave now that she has completed one year out of her two year contract? I don't mind paying for her tickets - I will tell her it is her year end bonus. Is this reasonable? Previously she asked for time off during Easter, but then when I said I won't pay for her flight back home, she said that she won't take holidays then. I thought that the when the helper takes their annual leave can be decided by the empolyer but not the helper, is this right?
    Obviously I know she really wants to go back for Xmas so plan to say ok. Would it be possible to find some part time helper during Xmas and New Year?
    Many thanks in advance.

alicialmy is offline Registered User
    i just got a helper about 2 months back, and still very new to the entire helper process.

My hk colleague gave me a very good brief on the do and donts. Very much depending on how you would want to make it work, but for me since she has not been with me for long, i will stick by the rules.

After working for a year, yes she is entitled to 7 days off without ticket back. only after 2 years will she be entitled to 14 days off and a return ticket. so it's very much how you want to grant her leaves. Yes you are right, it's just an employee employer scenario, if i ask my boss for leave, he disapproves it, then I will need to stay back.

Personally since she has only work for a year and already asking for days off during easter then Xmas, I think you might need to be firm and think what's best for you and your family as well,do you need help during busy time of xmas, can you get a part time helper at that moment etc...

EYM
    Thanks so much alicialmy! I feel bad to say no to her as I know she really wants to go back, but at the same time it would be hard for me to cope when she is away, especially if I cannot find a part time. I have to take time off work myself because she is off.
    Generally I have been trying to make her happy as I don't want her to mistreat my baby or just be around my baby with negative thoughts and energy; but I think I have been too nice and now it is difficult for me to go back to the rules...

rani is offline Administrator
    EYM was your helper already in HK when you hired her? If she didnt go home before starting work with you, she does need to exit HK as immigration may have given her two 1 year visas. If this is the case you are responsible for paying for half of the airfare.

If she has a 2 year visa, then most helpers go home at the end of the 2 year contract for 2 weeks.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

EYM
    Hi Rani, no she is first time to HK, I applied for her to come from phillipines and paid for her flight here. She has a few relatives here who worked for the same families for a few years, one for 20 years. I think she is comparing herself to them and asking for whatever the relatives are getting from their employers. Sometimes I just feel that she takes everything for granted. When she first arrived, I gave her 1000 cash advance to cover her expenses before her first salary, but when I paid her salary and said I would deduct the 1000, she said no that I cannot do it... But she cannot explain why. I asked a few friends and got back to her saying what she did was not right; in the end she said she can give back the money. She was so upset that I told her ok she didn't have to return. I should have been firm and set the rule there.