Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By novelle

Baby's Weight

crackers is offline Registered User

Baby's Weight

My baby is nearly 6 months old and is weighing in just shy of 10 kgs!! She is exclusively breastfeed (demand fed - maybe every 3-4 hrs) and have just (one week) started giving her 1Tbsp of puree for first tastes. People comment on 'what are you feeding her!!'...etc as she is a chunky monkey. Her 6 month check up is next week but should I be concerned with her weight? Obviously am not wanting to restrict her food but anyone else have experience with big cuddly babies!!??

novelle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    My baby is nearly 6 months old and is weighing in just shy of 10 kgs!! She is exclusively breastfeed (demand fed - maybe every 3-4 hrs) and have just (one week) started giving her 1Tbsp of puree for first tastes. People comment on 'what are you feeding her!!'...etc as she is a chunky monkey. Her 6 month check up is next week but should I be concerned with her weight? Obviously am not wanting to restrict her food but anyone else have experience with big cuddly babies!!??
    Hi, I have heard that if you are exclusively breatfeeding your baby you should not need to worry about the higher-than-normal weight of your baby. Sorry I did not know the reason behind. There is no need to restrict her food, just feed as normal.

Looks like she is absorbing the nutrients from your breast milk very well :D
    crackers likes this.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Definitely ask your doc. Height/length has a lot to do with weight as well. If your baby is consistently scoring in the same weight/height percentile without a sudden change, then all should be okay. I had the opposite problem with my EBF baby. She was a skinny little string bean and I was always worried about her not gaining enough, but the doc was never worried.

binny4 is offline Registered User
    Both my EBF babies were big and cuddly. Enjoy them and try not to worry. They also feed every four hours. The family health nurses in Australia said not to worry about their weight because they were breastfeed.