Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

In Laws

fifihk is offline Registered User

In Laws

Hi mommies, would greatly appreciate advice/your views/your experiences here.

Long story short, my husband's never gotten along with my parents and I've never liked his parents because of numerous unhappy incidents. I dislike his parents but I've always been a trooper and hid my feelings towards them to myself, played the dutiful DIL whenever they were in town (they live in Australia).

During my confinement period this August, they came to HK for 3 weeks and literally CAMPED out in our apartment 11am-6pm most days, SAT their butts on the sofa and watched my son when he was in the lounge. I say "watched" as they would play with their iPads/iPhones and take photos / videos here and there but other times play games and do their own thing [which begs the question, why camp out in our apartment at all].

They're coming for Xmas 24/12-31/12 and as much as I'm loathing this trip, I kept my mouth shut. I was looking forward to a quiet Xmas seeing it'll be our first family Xmas with the little one, but they have to come and ruin it.

I'd like to set some 'boundaries' and not have them expect to spend whole days, the entire week with us. Is that reasonable? For those who have in laws from out of town, how much time do you spend with them on average? Could I reasonably ask them to spend not more than 50% of their time in HK with us? I'm already assuming I'll have to spend Xmas eve, Xmas day and NYE with them - but I'd like to be IN LAW free rest of that week to ensure I hold my wits together this Xmas period!...

Thanks all!

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    Hello Fifi!

Sorry for the late reply. Saw your message and have been meaning to reply. Yes in-laws can add a lot of stress in a marriage. It's good that you have your husband's support. Have seen so many Mums who suffer on their own.

I have a friend who had similar in-laws who camped in her tiny flat and absolutely drove her mad. I would try to book a few touristy things for them to do while they are.

There's the Star Ferry Harbour Cruise or Aqua Luna. I also remember reading about some free cooking classes offered by the Hong Kong Tourist Association. There are also walks and eating tours on the Discover Hong Kong website.

And when you think you can't take it anymore, book a couple of massage for them and tell them its a late Xmas present etc. Just so that you can have an afternoon to yourself.

Try and be positive. They're only coming for a week and not 3 this time. With all the xmasy events happening around town it will fly by. You can also plan a special date night with your husband and leave them home babysitting.

Best of luck!

pobox557 is offline Registered User
    lol..... sorry it made me chuckle, cant you book them on day trips.

pobox557 is offline Registered User
    ops.... just seen the date. Sorry.

So..... how did it go in the end?