Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

elisakathy is offline Registered User

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Hi there,
    I am 3-4 weeks pregnant, it's our 1st. We are very nervous and not sure how the system works.
    We went and visit our GP, who said if we are going to the public system, we will be going to Queen Elizabeth as we live in Kowloon side. We don't want to go to Private, as we heard it costs a lot of money to go private (and we dont have insurance). We would like to go to private for consultation (so we have some personal touch) every month and go to Queen Elizabeth have all the tests done (such as amniocentesis...ect)
    My due day is July 9, 2015, so there are still long way away.
    Can anyone recommend any private doc for check up? We can go to central area as we work on the island side.
    We are going to register with Queen Elizabeth this sat, does anyone have experience giving birth / having check up there? As I know most people go to Queen Mary's.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Cheers!

leemei is offline Registered User
    Hi elisakathy,

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!!

I am 31 weeks, live in Kowloon side and I go to QE for my check-ups (amniocentesis, 20-week anomaly scan - very thorough, 15-20 mins... etc...)

For private doc check up (scans/consultations), I go to Dr. Eric Lee (Gynecologist & Obstetrician - Ob-Gyn in Room 1501, Prince's Building, 10 Chater Road, Central, Hong Kong). He is friendly, patient and never rush.

QE is good so far. Now that I am 31 weeks, I go for my routine check up once every 2 weeks - my only complaint - the check up is very fast (as they have many patients each time), so the Dr will just ask questions like "is the baby kicking?"... then listen to the baby's heartbeats.. that's about it. Then, schedule the next appointment.

Of course, for each check up before meeting the doc, you need to do urine tests (self supplied bottle with urine), blood pressure reading and weight is taken too.

I got to know a few moms at the Antenatal class that I attended at QE... so we are all in the same boat. So, it's definitely a good idea when it's nearer to your time, to attend Antenatal class (FREE) and get to people and gain some basic knowledge..

There are some threads on GeoBaby that discussed about experience of giving birth at QE.
    rani likes this.

Thanks Leemei
    Thanks for your recommendations of Dr. Eric Lee. I will ask my GP to write a referral letter for me to book an appointment with him. Nice to know that QE is good. We will go there next sat to register and have a look.
    When you see Dr. Lee, do you just bring your test result with you from QE? How much is the fee (roughly) for a private Doctor like Dr. Lee for each visit? When do you start going to see Dr. Lee? My GP says I am way too early to see anything on the scan....
    Sorry I have so many questions.
    Thank you for your time in advance.

No problem!
    If I remember correctly, for my first appointment at QE, I met a midwife and she asked questions i.e about my health history, background etc.. then scheduled all the future appointments for me.
    I first saw another OBGY (Jennie Ng) when I was 6 weeks pregnant - well, a scan. It wasn't necessary at this point (looking back), cos the baby was so tiny!! I didn't go back to her cos she probably spoke less than 15 words and she had a poker face that I couldn't connect with her.
    Yes, I think I brought the paper with me (GP issued a note to say that I am pregnant) when I saw Dr. Lee, then I was about 15 weeks. Maybe you could ask the midwife when you should go for your first private scan.
    Each visit to Dr. Lee (consultation + scan) = HKD 1,200.

Don't worry about having too many questions.. at my stage, I will have loads!
    love likes this.

illumination is offline Registered User
    I highly recommend Dr Lee, but he does not see patients after 20 weeks. Same as Leemei, I am also at Queen Elizabeth. I am 32 weeks now and have been going to Dr Shell Wong, after Dr. Eric Lee said he cannot see me anymore. Dr. Shell wong has been extremely patient and good, he is in TST. He charges 1000hkd, and he has got one of the better scan machines. He normally does s 4d scan at every visit. Also I would say I have had really good experience at QEH, I just go to the private doc for the scans as QEH does only one scan at 20-24 weeks and then one after 34 weeks.
    rani and leemei like this.

Thank you Leemei. It's nice to have you here answering all my questions as we don't want to tell anyone at work yet, it is too early.
    Thank you so very much and I am sure I will come back with more questions. Good luck with your pregnancy too !!
    rani likes this.

Thanks for the recommendation, illumination. Look forward to hearing both of your birth experience in QEH.
    :-)

I went to Dr Shell Wong for 4D scan. Yes he has got a better machine and I was referred to him for the 3D/4D by Dr. Eric Lee. Dr. Shell Wong is really friendly too.
    Guess it's a better deal that he does 4D scan every visit!
    Yes, you are right, at QE, my next scan is when I will be 34 weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast