Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Medela Breastpump

gielian is offline Registered User

Medela Breastpump

Hello, has anyone bought their Medela breastpumps online overseas and used here in HK? I am planning to buy Medela electric breastpump and it's very expensive here in HK. Only Celki has Freestyls while other big baby shops offer Swing.

I am after the Pump In Style Advanced and in the US it is sold for around HKD1800 while Celki sells Freestyle for HKD6600! With so many things that need to be bought for our baby (this is our first), saving 4800 is our priority. I've asked Celki and they said that as long as we have an invoice, they can repair it but will need to pay HKD1000 for the inspection fee plus the amount for parts. We don't mind paying HKD1000 per inspection...we just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this. Buying from the US and using it in HK and when it get's broken, have Celki (or other centres) repair it?

Mingaling is offline Registered User
    Are you from the US? We moved here from NY and have international insurance coverage through my husband's expat contract...I bought the Medela breast pump and it was covered 100% under our insurance (there was no maximum amount). You may want to check to see if your insurance will pay for it. We bought our pump here and was reimbursed by our insurance company.

Hi Mingaling, no not from the US :-) and no insurance that would cover the breastpump cost. I do have an address in the US though and can easily ship stuff I buy from there to HK...and the difference in prices are just crazy! :-(

Pandy is offline Registered User
    I bought a medela pump from the US, and the power adaptor would not work in Hong Kong. It would work with AA batteries, so eventually I tried a local adaptor and then it worked fine.

It really is. I bought a fisher price high chair from amazon.com (US) and shipped it to HK. The price of the high chair and international shipping cost was about the cost of the high chair in HK. The markup here is nuts!

Thanks Pandy! So far the product is good? :-) I do have a 1kw step down/step up converter here so I'm pretty sure it will work...just really concerned about how it will get repaired when it breaks.

Mingaling, we were suppose to buy a stroller in the US (Britax B-Agile) because it was almost x2 here in hk. If we were to ship it, it would just have the same price as here and also the "version" seems to be different too. Watched reviews of US users (babygizmo) and it's different from what mothercare here has.

Gielian - that's interesting, reason why I ordered my high chair from amazon instead of getting it here was for the same reason...the line of high chair in the fisher price website is "EZ clean". The one they had in Eugene baby is "Easy clean". I don't know if its legitimate fisher price here...

Pandy is offline Registered User
    The pump is the same as the local version, other than the adaptor. I think the product reliability is good, but if it breaks you always have the option of asking a friend to send it back to the US for repair. If you are really worried, just buy it in Hong Kong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast