Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

water birth

beautysasa is offline Registered User

water birth

has anyone have any experience to give birth in water?
    does hong kong hospitals offer water birth?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    As far as I know, there are no hospitals in Hong Kong that offer or are equipped to offer water birth. I think that such practices here are seen as "risky" and "out-of-the-norm." The public hospitals have just now started to introduce the concept of using a "birthing ball"--however, it's not really widespread and one has to train and take a class in order to be allowed to use it in labor. There are no facilities (tubs of water etc.) for giving birth in Hong Kong public hospitals and I also have never heard of the private hospitals offering this.

Having said that, I know people who have given birth by water birth at home in Hong Kong--which is not officially sanctioned by the system here. I've found with my two previous births that using water throughout labor is a useful and effective form of pain control. Those who are seeking natural childbirth in Hong Kong often go through childbirth classes and hire a doula. The recommendation is that if you want a natural childbirth, your best bet is to stay at home as long as possible during labor before going to the hospital. At your home you'll be able to utilize water to help go through labor.

We do not have a bathtub in our house but instead we bought a small children's pool and filled it with warm water. My labor with my daughter was 12 hours long (much shorter than the labor with y son had been at 43 hours!) and I spent over 8 hours of that at home. The first 4 hours I did not utilize the pool but for the second 4 hours I used the pool to go through contractions. Then when I could feel myself beginning to transition into active labor (contractions were less than 3 minutes apart) we made the move to travel to the hospital. I was in the hospital about 3 hours before I gave birth but was admitted immediately into the labor ward as I was in full labor when I arrived (contractions coming every 1-2 minutes and lasting 30 seconds to 1 minute without any stopping or stalling).

So, I have found water to be very beneficial with both of my labors but as far as using it in the actual hospital, not likely that is possible in Hong Kong.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

beautysasa is offline Registered User
    thanks so much for your information! :)
    its very useful