Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By btc
  • 1 Post By thanka2

which is better medela pump in style or freestyle?

poojabatraa is offline Registered User

which is better medela pump in style or freestyle?

which is better medela pump in style or freestyle? is it available on rent in hk? for how much? else thinking of getting from US

btc
    btc is offline Registered User
    @poojabatraa - if you can get it from the US it will be significantly cheaper than in HK, they are super expensive here. Bear in mind that US voltage is only 110, whereas Hong Kong is 220V so you will need a new adapter or a step-down transformer so you don't blow the motor. Also I would check warranty conditions, I'm not sure if a US item would have US or International Warranty.

I don't think Pump-in-style is available in HK, I have seen Freestyle, Swing Maxi, Swing and the manual Harmony here.

Medela distributor in HK is Celki. I believe they have pumps for rent, though I think it's the hospital grade Symphony which is bulky.
    poojabatraa likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I have a pump-in-style that I bought in the US. It was about 1/4 of the price that it is in Hong Kong. We bought a small transformer that was actually meant for a camera to run it in HK--cost us less than $100 HKD. I've used the pump-in-style for two babies.

Then, I just recently bought the freestyle as going to have another baby soon.

I think they are equally powerful but the freestyle is A LOT louder than the pump-in-style. I haven't had a chance to really try out the freestyle as my baby isn't born yet but I would say for a first-time person pumping, I would go with the pump-in-style--more classic/traditional, quieter.

As far as warranty goes...I've had my pump-in-style which was bought in the US repaired several times in Hong Kong and I've also sent it back to the States for repairs. You can get most replacement parts from Celki for decent prices such as tubing, membranes etc. Have had the pump-in-style for 7+ years and it's still going strong.
    poojabatraa likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

poojabatraa is offline Registered User
    thanks alot for the advise. that was really helpful. i got pump in style from amazon and now tryong to fix the adpater problem