Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Maternity Cover without the waiting period?

LaurieHK is offline Registered User

Maternity Cover without the waiting period?

Hi All,

I'm so glad to have found this site!
    I have a question that i'm struggling to find an answer for and am hoping some of you might have been in a similar situation.
    My husband and I are moving to HK in the Spring and have been trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to conceive for the past year and a half. We know that we will received Health Insurance through his company, but that Maternity Cover is not included. I have read that most insurance companies require a waiting period before use on Maternity payouts. We would hate to have to stop trying just because we didn't have suitable insurance, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of arriving in HK pregnant or TTC and was able to find coverage that started, if not immediately, but pretty soon after your arrival in HK?

Thanks in advance!
    LaurieHK

btc
    btc is offline Registered User
    Most people I know in similar situations have done one of the following options:

If they weren't pregnant before getting the insurance, they paid for ob/gyn check-ups out of their own pocket before the insurance kicked in. Most policies have a 10 month waiting period for maternity payouts, so the birth was covered but the first few check-ups/ultrasounds were not (depending on how far into the 10-month period they got pregnant). The bulk of the cost is in the private hospital delivery charges and the ob/gyn delivery fees.

If they have no maternity cover, then going through the public system. The public system is really excellent in HK and minimal cost for HKID holders (this includes people on valid visas). In fact, if there are any major complications at the private hospitals you will likely be transferred to the public hospital anyway.

Some people do a 50/50 private OB for check-ups and deliver in the public system. The private OB can't deliver in a public hospital so you need to find one that is willing to do the check-ups but not the delivery.

Annerley Midwives (Annerley - The Midwives Clinic, Hong Kong) hold info sessions about the different options in Hong Kong as does A Mother's Touch (Antenatal Classes Hong Kong, Pregnancy & Childbirth Services)

Hi BTC,

Thanks for your great reply - very helpful! I didn't realise that there was the option for 50/50. That sounds like a pretty good option. I will do some further research and have a look at the links that you posted.

Thanks again!
    LaurieHK

rani is offline Administrator
    LaurieHk

You can read about the various options here.

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thank Rani! I'll take a look now :)

I do have a followup question that I wonder if either of you could help with? My husband and I are just about to have a infertility consultation here in the US, so as yet, we don't know quite what the problem is, but we will be moving in a couple of months, and so any treatment that we undergo is unlikely to happen here. Do you know if fertility testing and infertility treatments is covered by the public healthcare system in Hong Kong?

Thanks! Lauren :)

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi, the family planning does provide testing and assistance.

::: The Family Planning Association of Hong Kong :::

However, am not sure if there is a waitlist for their services.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Pandy is offline Registered User
    If you want to access IVF treatment via the public system, you will likely wait several years. Barriers block way towards fertility subsidies: health chief | South China Morning Post

Also, only the premium insurance packages will help with IVF costs, and in most cases the claim limit would not be entirely sufficient, in addition there is generally a 9-12 month stand down before you can claim maternity treatment. Hoping your consultation will go well!