Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pooky is offline Registered User

I've written this before, but with little luck.

We are adopting and would love to hear from anyone who has adopted or knows anyone who has adopted from HK .
    How long did you wait? How old was your child? How did they settle into your home?

The agencies paint a negative picture in terms of wait times and the children's needs, but through friends I have heard of successful adoptions, but don't personally know anyone to actually ask/speak to about their experience.

astonvilla is offline Registered User
    Hi Pooky. To add to my PM, we did a tonne of research about attachment and reactive attachment disorder pre-placement.

We implemented a lot of techniques the pros suggest for adopted children - e.g. we chose one parent (my wife) to meet all the needs (e.g. feeding, washing, playing etc) of our daughter for the first 3/4 months. Whilst it was very difficult for me to wait to form a strong attachment in the early stages, it was key for our daughter to be able to securely attach to one parent, before attaching to the other.

After that 3/4 months it was my turn and, these days, we are co-conspirators against my wife. We're always monkeying about and we have a very secure attachment and a lovely relationship as parents to our daughter.

Adoption is a difficult process at the best of times but I think you have to approach it with your eyes open and with a lot of patience and humour. It is for sure the most satisfying thing I have ever done. I am immensely proud of my daughter's happiness, and I love seeing her personality grow and grow as she develops.