Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What are Public Maternity Wards like in Hong Kong? Are some better than others?

mary101 is offline Registered User

Question What are Public Maternity Wards like in Hong Kong? Are some better than others?

Hi everyone,
    After careful consideration we decided not to go private which is what I have been in for my previous two children abroad. Based on this, can anyone share their experience in the public maternity wards in Hong Kong?
    I'm keen to find out:
    How many other women do you share the ward with/is it really noisy?

Can you pay for a private room and still be public?
    What is the cleanliness like?
    And I will be having a c-section again, are the doctors as skilled as the private drs or are the all the same?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

rani is offline Administrator

The public hospitals are very similar and you need to register with the one in your catchment area. The medical care is top-notch, however the wards are fairly basic and can be noisy. If you upgrade to a private room, all your charges including previous ones will be readjusted and your bill will be equivalent or in some cases more than the top private hospitals in Hong Kong.

The toilets are ok, but it has been recommend to take showers soon after the cleaners have been in.

Do you know which hospital you will be at? Queen Mary is a teaching hospital so a junior Dr may perform the op.

Have a read through this thread too.

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread161826.html

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

pmbp is offline Registered User

I gave birth in 2013 in what EVERYONE told me was the WORST hospital in HK (Tuen Mun). It was perfectly fine. Baby and I were well taken care of and given lots of support with breastfeeding despite being given a LOT of horror stories about how "backwards" the public health care system is. To add, I had to have my antenatal appointments at hospital too (due to my RH neg blood type) and was better taken care of than my pregnant friend, with same blood type, who went private. The doctors all remembered me when I gave birth as well, which was nice. I still use the public system for vaccinations and the nurses are lovely and always helpful and supportive. Again, especially with breastfeeding as I had a lot of problems.

The fact is there will be a lot of people who have a horror story about anything to do with birth, babies and pregnancy. Ignore them! Unless it's constructive. Ignore them!

mary101 is offline Registered User

Thanks for the tips everyone!
    Really appreciate it :)

charade is offline Registered User

Think it might differ from hospital to hospital. I delivered at United Christian:

1. The ward is large but sectioned off into areas with six women in each separated by curtains. They classify women in some ways ... C-secs in one area, possibly first time moms in one area. It can get noisy coz women are allowed to have their babies at bedside. On the other hand, unlike wards in pvt hospitals you can't have visitors in at all times so this reduces noise. The nurses tend to draw the curtains between beds very noisily but that's their procedure.

2. Toilets were ok. It really depends on the women using it. Going for a bath early is a good idea.

3. I had c-section for my second child who was in breech position. There was a senior doctor present but it was residents who did the actual surgery. Comparing with my friends who went private for a c-sec, their scars are smaller and neater. This doesn't matter to me, my recovery was good which was the main thing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

charade is offline Registered User

Oh and inmost public hospitals it's as Rani described. Some like United Christian don't even have a private option. But Pamela nether sold eastern hospital used to let you choose a private room when you arrive for delivery if one is available and they don't backdate the charges.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks