Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Earliest time to take pictures @ Public hospital

gielian is offline Registered User

Earliest time to take pictures @ Public hospital

Hello, I'm due on the 22nd of Feb (woohoo!) Just wanted to know...from moms who have delivered in public hospitals in HK (I am giving birth in Pamela Youde Eastern Hospital), when was the earliest time you had taken a picture? Is it absolute no-no in the delivery room? I don't need photos of them working around my lower body but just the first time I hold my son.

Thanks in advance to those who will respond!

revesi is offline Registered User
    If all is well with the mother and baby, you will be left alone in the labour room along with hubby for an hour to bond. There is no hospital staff around this time and u can take pictures. Even though the policy is no photos, most staff is nice enough to understand that you want to take photos. They are likely to turn a blind eye to breaking of this rule as long as you are discrete and subtle.

Thank you revesi! :-) Does this mean they will not check my husband's pockets for a camera phone or maybe a small camera?

pmbp is offline Registered User
    We had our hour alone and the docs and midwives were snapping away for us while I was being ... "sorted out' so to speak. We never even really had to ask they just took the camera and snapped away.

Thanks pmbp! May I ask which hospital you gave birth in? Was able to ask a friend who gave birth in QE and she said right after they cleaned her and the baby up...the nurses took a picture of her and the baby. I forgot to ask her though why her husband wasn't in the room with her and the baby. I hope it's like this in every public hospital because it's a precious moment that we can't get back - the tired mom and the baby that just got out :-)

I was at Tuen Mun. The doctor told me at an antenatal appointment that although they might have policies saying no to XYZ, on the whole they will try to do their best to honour your requests, so long as you aren't asking for a candle lit waterbirth with whale music! His exact words! The staff aren't going to be completely heartless with you.

I've said this in another post but lots of people try to give horror stories about the public system. I was told it is "backwards" and "conservative". I personally found this was not the case.

Oh with regards to hubby being present, you must complete a "request" form. You are only allowed one family member to attend and you must have permission from the hospital. You get a form to complete and then within a week they will send you a letter stating that your spouse/family member is allowed to be with you.

Hope this was helpful!

Oh and good luck! Baby will be here before you know it!

Thank you!!! I honestly think they are not too backwards...but they are definitely not as thorough as my private OB. They just check what is required at the moment and nothing else. Just 2 saturdays ago 36W6D, my private OB saw that my baby was still breech and last Friday 37w5d, I went to Pamela Youde for the assessment and they literally just did the ultrasound to point out that my baby has turned his head back down. Didn't check anything else, didnt check where he was facing (my front or my back)...just "here is the head -- he is head down and the buttocks is here". Then it was done.

Omg I didnt know there needed to be a request form! I thought it was "automatic" that they'd let husbands in the delivery room because they encourage it. I will need to call the hospital...thank you so much for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast