Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Downs Screening Public Hospital

Christelle Thea is offline Registered User

Downs Screening Public Hospital

Hello I am 11 weeks pregnant and have been going to Queen Elizabeth Hospital for check ups. My concern is that my next appointment is in 6 weeks and I haven't been told when to have the Downs Syndrome Screening Test. It's my understanding that it has to be done between weeks 11-14. Is it because I'm under 35? Do they not offer this is in the public hospitals anymore? Should I see a private doctor? The receptionists at the hospital are not very helpful over the phone.

Any advice is welcome!

Lillibet is offline Registered User
    Hi Christelle,
    I'm also 11 weeks, and going to QEH.
    As far as I can tell from the brochures they've given me, the downs screening applies to all pregnant women, not just over 35s (I am over 35 myself, so I did check my paperwork for you just in case). It needs to be done before 14 weeks, so if you have definitely not given you an appointment for the next couple of weeks, then the best option may be for you to go in yourself and request one. When you went for your first midwife registration, this appointment for downs screening should have been made, so perhaps it was an oversight.
    Best of luck!
    giginium likes this.

Christelle Thea is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for your reply. Is the screening done in the same place as the midwife appointments?

Lillibet is offline Registered User
    My appointment slip says Midwife Clinic, Ward B3. I have no idea whether this is within the O&G dept on 4th floor of the ACC building, or if it is somewhere else. But to make the appointment, I'd suggest going to the latter anyway. My appointment for the screening is for just after Chinese New Year.

illumination is offline Registered User
    The screening is not at Acc but at ward b3 in the main building. However appointment is fixed at the 4 th floor Acc. If I were you I would go to 4 th floor Acc in working hours and go to the nurses's station and talk to them. I have walked in like this and they helped me. I am surprised that they did not give you your Down's syndrome test appointment, I had my 20-24 week scan also booked on my first appointment.

gielian is offline Registered User
    I am going to deliver in Pamela Youde and had my Down Syndrome test (blood work and ultrasound) at the hospital at 12w2d. As far as I know they do that even if you're below 35 because I am below 35. Best to speak with the nurses/counters at QEH and request for your tests.

hannahbasi is offline Registered User
    I am 22 weeks now and visited Pamela Youde to inquire for the first time.

The nurse told me they cannot conduct 4G and Down Syndrome test any for me because I am way past 20 weeks.

In general, is the procedure not safe for pregnant women beyond 20 weeks?

LittleLauhaus14 is offline Registered User
    The issue with the downs screening conducted at public hospitals such as PY is not safety beyond 20 weeks, but most likely reliability.

The test involves an ultrasound measurement of the nuchal fold as well as blood tests for Papp-a and hcg levels which indicate overall risk of DS. Beyond 11-14 weeks those measurements are likely to be inaccurate.

If you want prenatal DS screening at this point, I would suggest talking to a doctor about either a NIPT test such as Safet21 (noninvasive) Or you could go diagnostic with an amniocentesis (invasive).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast