Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Public vs private

mfchan is offline Registered User

Public vs private

I am undecided whether to go public (United Christian Hospital) or private (St Teresa's Hospital).
    Anyone have experiences with these 2 hospitals? Please share!!

Thanks

charade is offline Registered User

Delivered at United Christian. It has it's pros and cons - the pros are the price, the breastfeeding support and I thought the ward was actually bigger and more airy than some private hospitals.

The cons - the resident docs are young and rude, (though the nurses and midwives are lovely). They have their set way of doing things like drawing the curtains loudly at pre set times. The toilets are not always clean (though not terribly yucky either).

If you're going private I've heard better things about baptist than Theresa. I planned to go private second time round but my baby turned out to need an emergency c-sec and I couldn't afford the cost of that private so was back at UCH for baby number two. Second time around experience was better coz I knew what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Thanks Charade. Much appreciated!

Anyone have experience at Baptist? Pls share.

Thanks

giginium is offline Registered User

I gave birth at baptist on nov, 2012 (which was the cut off year for the mainland moms to give birth in hk).

I had my private obgyn do the delivery.

The overall experience was good. I was in a 8 person shared room but the beds were only half filled.

The mainland moms had c-sections so there was nobody fighting over the washroom with me. It was clean and decent.

The nurses were caring and polite. My interaction with them was limited to the infant ward when I went down to see my baby.

I left the hospital with a bill of hkd 50k, half of which went to the delivery fee for the obgyn.

The hospital fee includes a grab bag of free sample of sorts, a photo album for the baby, and of course the bag of essentials for your hospital stay (pads, bed sheet...etc)

Thanks for the info giginium

charade is offline Registered User

I was seeing Dr Jimmy Mak at baptist and planning to deliver there until I landed up needing an emergency c-sec.

I think private is worth it if you're not breaking the bank. More worth it for your first baby. Otherwise public is fine.