Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Queen Elizabeth Hospital English Prenatal class, Private room , birth plan...

elisakathy is offline Registered User

Hi Everyone
    I have reached my 20 weeks mark and start looking into few things about my delivery in QE .
    I have tried to book the English prenatal class they have there, but the number is busy. Anyone been to the class there? Is it helpful? Will you recommend to take extra prenatal classes somewhere else?
    Also how is the private room situation work? Will it possible to book a private room when I deliver? Do you know the fee?
    I am filling my birth plan but not sure about few questions, like what position do I prefer when giving birth? And will they give me Epidural if I request one? Should I order it or can I pay for it in advance to make sure I will get one ?
    So many questions and this is our first time. We have been to a private doctor for check up monthly as well but maybe we are too relax.
    Thank you for sharing your experience!!

illumination is offline Registered User

Hello Elisakathy,
    I did go for the QEH prenatal class. It was good. It was a 2 hr class, more informative and they walk you around the ward etc, so makes you familiar. I did not go for any other so I am not in a position to tell you if it's required to go for other classes, but I know many others who went for hypnobirthing etc. About the epidural, you will not be given one on demand. I think they have a limited quota and I think they give one to women in prolonged labours etc. I did not get one( 5 hrs labour), though I absolutely wish I had one. Also my labour position etc was not applicable to me as I had an induced labour, so I had to lie on the bed all through with oxytocin being administered to me.
    I totally understand you, as I was in the same boat as you just a few months back.
    Sorry, I have no clue about the private room.
    Hope it all goes smoothly for you.. Wish you luck!
    Last edited by illumination; 02-27-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Hi illumination,
    Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful for us. It is our first baby and maybe we are too nervous. We will for sure nook the QE prenatal class and go from there.
    Really wish I could get epidural as I don't do well with pain.....anyway, see what happens.
    Glad your delivery went well ! Do you have a boy or a girl ?
    Thanks for sharing, really appreciated !!

Christelle Thea is offline Registered User
    I am also booked in for QE- I'm currently only 13 weeks though. I too am nervous about the delivery and pain management!

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elisakathy View Post
    Also how is the private room situation work? Will it possible to book a private room when I deliver? Do you know the fee?
    Hello! If you are currently seeing a private doctor, will you be wanting that doctor to deliver your baby? If so, you will need to book delivery at a private hospital that your doctor is attached to. If you go for Queen Elizabeth or any other public hospital, then the doctor is simply allocated to you on admission.

The cost of a private ward at Queen Elizabeth is similar to a private hospital, but without the bells and whistles. The price is here: http://www3.ha.org.hk/qeh/department/pw/pw.html

MiniB is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

This is my first and I've looked into Annerley midwives in Central. They do antenatal classes as well give info on public vs private hospitals. they have a free workshop every Friday which I went to last week and it was a great help...really feeling clueless but they were really patient with answering questions. The workshop is a bit of a sales pitch too so be prepared for that however I was always going to do some private antenatal classes since I heard the ones at the public hospitals are pretty basic and the level of english isn't great.

sorry a bit off topic but they would probably have useful info on QE

rani is offline Administrator
    Antenatal Classes Around Hong Kong - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Here's a list of antenatal classes. A Mother's Touch and The Family Zone are both very popular too.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks Ladies for all the information you have here. Very useful.
    :-)