Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Terminating helper with payment in lieu

Chipon is offline Registered User

Terminating helper with payment in lieu

Hi, we are considering to terminate our helper before her contract expire August this year. However we are not sure if its okay to pay her one month salary and ask her to leave the house on the same day, or do you need to give her more time than a day to pack and find a place to stay? She will be taking 2 weeks holiday and flying back to the philipine on 27-3-2015 and coming back to Hong Kong on 12-4-2015.
    So i was thinking maybe on the day when she fly to the philipine might be the best time to tell her to go because then she will have a place to stay for the next 2 weeks (in her hometown)? Or do you think it does not matter?
    And if i tell her to leave before her holiday, do i need to get her final flight back to the philipine right away? Or can i just pay money, because i am sure she wants to stay in hongkong to find a job.
    Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes you can terminate her contract and ask her to leave right away. You will need to give her 1 month's salary / annual leave /ticket home and travel expense ($100/day to reach home)
    Don't forget to get her to sign that she's received all that she's owed. If she has a lot of stuff you may want to give her an extra day to pack up her things.

If you've paid for her ticket for her annual leave I don't think you need to give her another ticket.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com