Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rani

Supplementing formula for a 5 months old

bcskunk is offline Registered User

Supplementing formula for a 5 months old

Aside from the first couple weeks after birth my son has been solely breastfed. However recently my wife's supply has started to decrease so we want to supplement with formula few times a week.

He used to drink Enfamil A+ when newborn but now he detests it. I've even tried mixing 5 ounces of BM with 2 ounces of FM and he still refuses....

Which formula have you had success with supplementing? which brand tastes closest to BM?

Thanks!

rani is offline Administrator
    There are so many different brands out there. The popular ones are Hipp, Aptamil, Bellamys . We used Enfamil and my son was fine with it. Perhaps speak to your pediatrician. They receive samples from milk companies and may be able to give you a few to see which your son likes.

If you need help with breastfeeding and boosting your wife's supply, contact the La Leche League LA LECHE LEAGUE HONG KONG 國際母乳會-香港 - La Leche League Hong Kong Main Page or you can buy some Fenugreek tablets.
    btc likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

rani is offline Administrator
    There are so many different brands out there. The popular ones are Hipp, Aptamil, Bellamys . We used Enfamil and my son was fine with it. Perhaps speak to your pediatrician. They receive samples from milk companies and may be able to give you a few to see which your son likes.

If you need help with breastfeeding and boosting your wife's supply, contact the La Leche League LA LECHE LEAGUE HONG KONG 國際母乳會-香港 - La Leche League Hong Kong Main Page or you can buy some Fenugreek tablets.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

GreenMum is offline Registered User
    It may not the problem of formula milk. it may be the difference of nipples, as mothers' nipples are much softer the teats of bottles, babies have to adapt bottle feeding.
    So you can try to change the plastic nipples n see if it got any improvement.

emmiedustie is offline Registered User
    My baby uses Illuma, although it is more expensive than other forumla, we found that her poop is better, and it doesn't give the "milky baby smell" (like the Chinese people say) from baby drinking other forumla milk

bcskunk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice. I manage to get him to drink by having two bottles, one with formula and the other with BM. Everytime he drank 1-2 ounces I rotated to the other bottle until he finished both. Seemed to work as the BM would mask the taste of formula abit. Wasn't easy but at least it worked!