Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Recent Tsan Yuk/Queen Mary experiences

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    Awesome thanks! Will definitely stay on top of things! Managed to get an early discharge when I had my daughter by being persistent too so at least I've been through that part! Enjoy your little one, they grow up so quickly!!

slin is offline Registered User
    @revesi , do you mind sharing your birth experience in QMH. I'm still undecided between public vs private. It would be great to save 100k on private but on the other hand I've read so much horror stories here but most were post dated before 2008. Would be great to hear more recent experience. Some of the specific concerns I have are 1) do they offer epidural 2) how strict are they on 3D2N stay? I was discharge the very next day with my first born 3) did u manage to bf your baby in hospital? 4) how was your stay there generally....read about mommy being left at the corridor after birth, baby separated, etc. That's pretty daunting.

So far my experience at Tsan Yuk being nothing but great, the nurses and doctor I've seen were very thorough and caring. They asked way more questions than my private ob! :)

Thank you so much for sharing and sorry for the long list of questions.

rani is offline Administrator
    @slin

Hope you don't mind me taking a stab at some your questions

1. You will need to ask for an Epidural - it may take a while for them to organize it but they will call for the Anesthetist

2. If you have a natural birth and you and baby are doing fine, you can ask to be discharged after 24 hours. Have heard of many second time mums who have left after 24 hours.

3. Yes you can breastfeed. There is a Lactation Consultant at Queen Mary and if you have any problems ask the ward nurse to call her for you.

4. The care if fine. And in case of an emergency, they have the knowledge and skills to handle the situation.

If you are really considering Queen Mary, maybe you can enlist the help of a doula. You can then labour at home peacefully, and only head to the hospital when you're in active labour. Both Annerley and A Mother's Touch offer this service and they do a Free Session every week where you can meet their staff and learn about the different packages they offer.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

revesi is offline Registered User
    Hi slin

1. I had a c-section so cant tell you my personal experience about epidural but I know for sure there are often delays in administering epidural. This fact is politely conveyed in all prenatal classes by the hospital staff.

2. They are not very strict on the 3D2N rule. The mother next to me was discharged the following day after delivery because she had a toddler to look after. Her baby was in the neonatal unit but still she was allowed to leave.

3. I did manage to bf the baby in the hospital but that is no thanks to QM staff. In theory they support bf but in practise little support was given. The nurse/midwife would come every now and then to check how many times I had bf but had no inputs to give. Rather it seemed they came to check on me just to tick boxes and were very eager to leave me to it. I was very disappointed at the kind of bf support given specially since they really promote it in theory.

4. Stay was a little frustrating. As you wrote the the doctors and nurses at Tsan Yuk are really nice, and that was my experience too but the hospital staff is not that helpful. But they are certainly not rude-just unconcerned. Also as one would expect in a public hospital there is lots of noise - babies crying all night. I have wrote somewhere before as well that the staff will not inform you of anything eg when will the paediatrician arrive, where are they taking you baby ( it was for a bath and the baby wasnt returned for 2 hours). I had a c - section and no one told me I was not to eat the entire day. I had to ask again and again and again... . The answer was - " wait for the doctor"

In general I had a very tiring experience. But medically you are in the best hands. Also if I do not have maternity insurance next time around, I probably will still choose QMH and save tons of money. Next time I'll know what to expect and wont be easily bothered. It is only a short stay so you can bare the inconvenience.

rani is offline Administrator
    @revesi Thanks for sharing your experience. Most Gov't hospitals in Hong Kong are short staffed and the nurses don't have time to spend with each patient. Unfortunately its not something the gov't can fix anytime soon. Glad you and baby are ok, and are home resting.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Sounds exactly the same as when I had my daughter in 2012... I had been told epidural takes a long time so I started asking for it straight away even though I wasn't sure (you can always say you changed your mind later)... It did take long and by the time they were ready I was sure and went ahead... As others have said, the ward is not great... Very noisy, terrible food, not much input from the nurses and no one tells you anything... I wanted an early discharge and got myself discharged early in the morning when the doctors did the rounds. I kept asking the whole day when the Paed was coming so that my daughter could be discharged. They kept telling me just wait, still coming... Only very late afternoon did one of the nurses tell me the Paed had been already when they took the baby to bath in the morning... They called the Paed back when I insisted but that took a few hours. We only managed to leave late that night when it could have been late morning/early afternoon if I had of caught them on their rounds... So just make sure to follow through on everything, don't just ask 1 nurse, keep asking and be persistent... Overall we had a pretty good experience, no frills obviously but can't really fault anything... Will have my second baby there in Nov

sunshine_hk is offline Registered User
    My doctor has told me that as I am under 35 (I'm nearly 32) I will not be offered the Down syndrome testing or a 12 week ultrasound at Tsan Yuk - is that correct? He said likely to just have one ultrasound around 18-20 weeks. If anyone can confirm tho would be great, I may consider a private ultrasound if this is the case for peace of mond

That's incorrect. In the past the 12 week downs screening was only for mothers 35 years and over but they have changed it and it is now for everyone. I am 33 and had mine done yesterday.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast