Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Induction at public hospital in Hong Kong

Questioner is offline Registered User

Induction at public hospital in Hong Kong

Would anyone have an idea or experience in relation to induction procedure at public hospitals (once their doctors decide that is the next step as baby is over 40 weeks)?

What should one expect? Please share.

illumination is offline Registered User
    Hi Questioner,

Will share with you my recent experience hope that helps. It took me 5 days but that's probably the longest it might take only a day for you. My pre delivery experience was good, post delivery... That's another story 😪

I had an induced delivery at QEH at 38 weeks due to other complications. For induction your cervix needs to be ripe- grade 6 atleast- this grading is different in different places and only the Dr can tell. My cervix was not ready( grade4) hence I was admitted to the hospital. Here are my 5 days
    Day1- my cervix rating was 4- Dr did a membrane sweep to ripen my cervix it was little painful.
    Day 2- still 4- another membrane sweep..
    Day 3- 5 rating and membrane sweep
    Day 4-6 rating so ready for induction
    ( these 4 days were a little painful due to membrane sweeps, so I used a tens machine at times, the hospital provided it, also there was the ball room which I used frequently to speed up the induction process)
    But I requested for delivery next day
    Day5- I was taken upto labour room- hooked onto oxytocin which induces labour- 5 hrs later- the baby was born. I did not get an epidural inspite of my request for one and yes it was painful. But retrospectively it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Thank you for your useful reply. Much appreciated.

I would like to ask during these 4 induction days especially, did they allow someone to be with you or only during visiting hours?

And were you allowed to eat as normal or were there restrictions on what you can eat? Were you allowed to move around or on bed most of the time for their monitoring?

When you did not get epidural, did they give you any other form of pain relief?

kam2350 is offline Registered User
    My water broke after 2 sweeps and I was induced at QMH because of lack of dialation. I was allowed breakfast and then nothing else except a few sips of water (not even suppose to have that) in case a c-section would be needed later on. Before being given oxytocin, you and hubby are taken into your own labour room (you both stay there until bub is born) and there is a midwife that'll be in the room monitoring things. They have gas, a birth ball, tens machines etc to help you. Docs come around every few hours to check on progress. If no progress with dilation after 10-12hrs, its deemed a failed induction and they push you for an "emergency cesarean" - i think they are afraid of infection setting in. This happened to me. I wish they would have given me more time, and i felt bullied into the procedure, as bub and i were both doing fine. I think in other countries, they are prepared to wait 24hrs after water breaking before giving antibiotics if needed to avoid infection, and allow you more time to progress with the oxytocin before moving to cesarean.

I never thought id end up having an induction, nor a cesarean. I wasn't ready for it all mentally, and it still breaks my heart that they did not allow hubby into theatre with me, despite my obvious fear and pleading. Hospital policy - "don't want him getting in the way and don't have any extra staff to care for him if he faints etc while in there" they told us. I cried for months because of this, and will NEVER use the public hospitals here again because hubby cannot be by my side in case of cesarean.

Quote Originally Posted by kam2350 View Post
    My water broke after 2 sweeps and I was induced at QMH because of lack of dialation. I was allowed breakfast and then nothing else except a few sips of water (not even suppose to have that) in case a c-section would be needed later on. Before being given oxytocin, you and hubby are taken into your own labour room (you both stay there until bub is born) and there is a midwife that'll be in the room monitoring things. They have gas, a birth ball, tens machines etc to help you. Docs come around every few hours to check on progress. If no progress with dilation after 10-12hrs, its deemed a failed induction and they push you for an "emergency cesarean" - i think they are afraid of infection setting in. This happened to me. I wish they would have given me more time, and i felt bullied into the procedure, as bub and i were both doing fine. I think in other countries, they are prepared to wait 24hrs after water breaking before giving antibiotics if needed to avoid infection, and allow you more time to progress with the oxytocin before moving to cesarean.

I never thought id end up having an induction, nor a cesarean. I wasn't ready for it all mentally, and it still breaks my heart that they did not allow hubby into theatre with me, despite my obvious fear and pleading. Hospital policy - "don't want him getting in the way and don't have any extra staff to care for him if he faints etc while in there" they told us. I cried for months because of this, and will NEVER use the public hospitals here again because hubby cannot be by my side in case of cesarean.
    Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Sorry to hear about your experience.