Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Baby bubbles

Matilda VS Sanitorium

Sjoh is offline Registered User

Matilda VS Sanitorium

Hi all,
    I know this has been done before but I thought it was worth asking again. We are tossing up between shared (2 people) room at Matilda or private at Sanitorium (that's how far our insurance will stretch). I would prefer a private room so its a more peaceful recovery, however I have been told that Matilda staff are more supportive of breast feeding and natural deliveries, and the labour room is better.

I don't have a real idea of what I would like at birth other than natural with epidural, to breastfeed afterwards, and to have the baby with me after birth (not in a separate room).

What are your thoughts and experiences with both?

Thanks!!

Baby bubbles is offline Registered User
    Can you book a visit in to both before you decide?

Sorry, no experience, just an idea
    Sjoh likes this.

newbian is offline Registered User
    I spoke to my OB and explained I want normal delivery with epidural, baby to room in after birth, and to breastfeed. He said based on that Matilda over Sanitorium. Matilda is 60% vaginal birth and Sanitorium is something like 20%. I've only toured Matilda and they definitely promote breastfeeding. I guess the labor room is nice but I doubt I will appreciate the finer details when the moment comes, I wouldn't choose a hospital based on that alone.

Our insurance has a cap so we've booked Matilda ward room although may trade up for double. It's only a few days in the hospital so I don't think I need a private room.

However as you value privacy I suggest you visit both and have a list of questions you want answered. The person giving the tour is likely not a medical professional, I asked to speak to a midwife to get specifics on some issues. From that you should be able to decide. Good luck!

Sjoh is offline Registered User
    Thanks for that! Wouldn't the natural birth vs caesarean come down more to the obstetrician than the hospital though?

I've read threads saying the both the San and Matilda allow babies to room with mums and are flexible with breastfeeding schedules. I am going to tour both hospitals but only the Matilda offer comprehensive tours. San told me they can only show me the room.

newbian is offline Registered User
    For most of labor you will be under the care of the hospital midwives, the OB comes when baby is getting ready to come out. I would rather be in a hospital where the midwives do normal births regularly.

Recommend touring both, I felt happy with Matilda and have some other reasons for choosing it over San so I didn't bother to visit it.