• 1 Post By Pandy
  • 2 Post By fusciaskies
  • 1 Post By newbian
  • 1 Post By rani

AXA PPP INTERNATIONAL insurance for elective C section

AngelaBoarder is offline Registered User

AXA PPP INTERNATIONAL insurance for elective C section

Hello everyone,
    I am currently 11 weeks pregnant and wanted to reach out to any mums or mums to be out there who have had/ is chosing an elective C section and had maternity insurance cover the costs?

I took out maternity insurance with AXA PPP INTERNATIONAL Prestige and I was led to believe through the broker that the coverage would also include an elective C section. I recently have been on various sites and read some mothers didn't get all the costs covered by AXA. I sent AXA an email lately and they said the costs were covered by vaginal/elective. But when my husband called up today to clarify they said they only covered for a natural birth. I am so confused and frustrated as the whole reason why I chose to go private so that I was able to have an elective c section and it to be mostly covered. I would have saved the money and gone public!

Have any ladies out there had an elective c section and would you mind sharing your experience with me if you went with AXA? Much appreciated!

Many thanks x

fusciaskies is offline Registered User

I don't have AXA (bought Cigna instead) but the quickest way to find this out is by checking the exact policy language for your insurance. I did look at Axa Prestige before buying my insurance though, and based on the comparison chart I received it looks like elective C section is covered. You are only covered for US$16000 though and based on experience if you're looking to deliver at the Matilda this wouldn't even cover a natural delivery (but staying in a private room) with epidural.
    I would rethink whether a C-section is really what you want though. Your body was made to have this baby and with an epidural, it doesn't need to be painful. I have friends who have had weeks of pain after C-sections and baby fat that won't budge from their tummies after their C-sections. Just my two cents.

AngelaBoarder and rani like this.

Pandy is offline Registered User

Hello, I was speaking to our broker (we are renewing our insurances). He said AXA PPP INTERNATIONAL Prestige covers both medical necessary c-section as well as elective up to the maternity plan limit. You should of course check again with your own broker.

AngelaBoarder likes this.

Thanks pandy and fasciacakes for your advice and input! Really appreciate it. Have contacted AXA again directly so they can clarify. I went for my scan today and everything is looking great so I asked my doctor whether he would be able to medically recommend a c section for me and he was fully I support of my decision as he agrees. It's always been a personal choice of mine to have a c section so I won't budge on that idea Haha. Thank again guys!

newbian is offline Registered User

No way a doctor can medically recommend a c-section this early short of some very clear health issues on your part. I'm suspicious of that and would guess the doctor is supportive of it because A) it makes his/her scheduling easier and B) he/she may charge more for c-sections.

As a comparison, I'm 29 weeks and baby is in breech position, I asked my doc if I need to start thinking about a section (I don't want one AT ALL) and he said I should keep waiting a few weeks. So if it's not medically necessary for me to start planning one how can it be for someone at 11 weeks? Seems odd.

As for insurance hopefully you get your situation sorted with AXA, we have AIA and they cover any c-section elective or emergency up to a limit - which is higher than the limit for natural!

AngelaBoarder likes this.

rani is offline Administrator

Have to agree with Newbian, it's too early for a Dr to recommend a C-section.

Also to get your breech moving @newbian the midwives recommend this site Spinning Babies – Easier Childbirth with Fetal Positioning

newbian likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thanks everyone for input just received confirmation that AXA PPP do cover an elective c section.