Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rani
  • 1 Post By rani

Private OB and public hospital

Lileemurphy is offline Registered User

Private OB and public hospital

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and this is my first pregnancy. I am currently around 7 weeks pregnant and would love some advice/hear your experience.

I met my OB (Dr Grace Cheung at CentralHealth) this week and she shared with us the costs for Matilda. My husband and I have since checked my insurance cover and it is fairly low so we are now thinking of doing all my antenatal privately but the delivery at public hospital. I have a few questions and not sure who to ask so appreciate any advice!

1. Will my OB still see my for antenatal if I choose not to deliver at a private hospital? Or will I need to enter the public OB system? (not keen on this as I value the scans and personal approach)

2. How do I go about getting on the public hospital space/waiting list?

3. When do I need to let my OB know of my intentions? She already completed a booking form for me at Matilda.

Thank you so much

rani is offline Administrator

Congratulations!!!

Have a read through this article and it should answer most of your questions.

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Some private Drs will refuse to see you for prenatal care if you decide to deliver at public. Not sure if Grace is one. You can call her nurse and ask.

Registering at a public hospital is fairly easy. Just call the nearest Maternal Child Care centre and make an appt. The first one is when you're about 10 weeks. I don't think you need to tell Grace. You're keeping your options open :)

2. There is no public hospital waitlist once you've registered. You will need to go your appts monthly and when you're closer to your due date you go in weekly and then straight to the hospital when you're in Labour.

3. That's a tricky one. If the nurse confirms she won't see you if you're delivering public, then it maybe best to switch Drs (Derek Lo, Edmund Hon). Or you can wait till you need to pay the deposit for the Matilda?

Good luck!

Shavethewhales likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thank you so much Rani!

I spoke to husband and we decided that I will do as you suggested - call the nearest MCCC and make an appt and attend those appts. My next appt with Grace is at end of October so I guess i speak to her then and if she can no longer see me then I will have to switch doctors.

Where can I find a list of doctors that will consider public/half half approach?

thank you

rani is offline Administrator

We have a list of Drs in our directory. Popular Gynecologists in Hong Kong - Hong Kong GeoBaby

I think Derek Lo, Eric Lee, Edmund hon will see you.

There has been a change in malpractice insurance so some drs are no longer delivering but will do prenatal care.

Shavethewhales likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thanks again Rani. Really appreciate your help as feel so in the dark!