Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First appointment with Dr Doo

vanj is offline Registered User

First appointment with Dr Doo

Hi all,

Have decided to go get ourselves checked after pregnancy isn't happening as fast as we expected and time is of the essence. Any tips and advice on what to expect during the first appointment with Dr Doo at Matilda? (apart from the waiting which everyone seems to highlight)

I don't even know if I should bring my husband and what I am expected to pay and how. Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Starhaven is offline Registered User
    Sent you a private message

mjrose514 is offline Registered User
    Oh I would love to know this too! I'm in the midst of trying to figure out who to see....

Well after a lot of research, I settled with Dr Doo because if anything, he is known for getting results. After going for my first appointment with him I am actually quite comfortable with my decision. Checks are done in order and I have a very clear idea of what to expect, there are also other (cheaper) options before IVF that one can explore if they wish to - he explains all this to you in your first appointment.

Just be prepared to invest in the outcome. Visits to the clinic (not even always the Dr) can set you back anywhere from HKD700 (easy tests) - HKD 4500 (blood tests, etc), HKD2K and up for supplements if required and Doctor consults are from HKD 1.5K-3K.

StephenYong is offline Registered User
    The types of treatment for subfertility (inability to conceive after 1 year of unprotected sexual intercourse) range from
    1) just giving yourselves more time; it is said that 80% of couples conceive within 1 year and another 10% in the subsequent year; that equals 90% over 2 years will get pregnant; so if you are in your early 30's, you can afford to wait a bit longer. Certainly, if you have already tried for over 2 years or are very very anxious about it, you should choose more active forms of treatment as listed below.
    2) Clomiphene citrate tablets ("Clomid") to help induce ovulation (release an egg from the ovary) in women who are suspected to have ovulatory problems ie. with irregular or infrequent menses, those who are overweight and a BMI of over 25 (the higher the more severe). If anovulation is the sole problem, then expect a success rate (pregnancy rate) of around 50% over 6 months. Some books quote an even higher figure.
    3) Intrauterine insemination (IUI) with ovulation induction (can be with clomid or FSH injections) is a simple form of assisted reproductive treatment (ART) and is suitable for couples with mild sperm abnormalities, mild endometriosis, unexplained infertility, and suspected cervical mucous problems. This is where sperm is washed and filtered for the best sperm and infused back intot he womb during the ovulation period. It's success rate is around 15% depending on various factors of which is quantitiy and quality of sperm and age of woman. One needs to have at least one unblocked fallopian tube and 10 million mobile sperms.
    4) In-Vitro-Fertilisation (IVF) or test tube baby which is formation of an embryo in a petri dish in a lab and replacing these embryo(s) into the womb. Success rates up to 30% per try. Very labour intensive for all parties and very expensive. It is the last resort if all else fails.

Monste is offline Registered User
    First appointments...think always good to take hubby....my first apt re infeetility i was shellshocked but hubby was prtty good and asked lots of questions....we had been ttying for over 3years before we went to doc (having muved to hk) so i had charted my cycles and.also my history from uk.

They did bloods to both hubby and i tp check we ok..eg check the level and quality pf eggs etc

We did 3 iuis (unsuccessful), then ivf (got preg on my second cycle)...now 18weeks.

I went to dr ho who is similar price tp dr doo....i hear great things on dr.doo but our gp recommended dr ho and so we went with that and his rates were.good....thus far all gping well
    Good luck

Wow such an informative post about the steps to consider. Certainly glad to live in a day and age where options are available.

I think Dr Ho was another recommended Dr. But eventually I went with Dr Doo due to the location convenience and also we have friends who highly recommended him. I'm quite happy with my decision.

So far he has been quite patient in explaining the steps and procedures and I feel like he is quite happy to go along with the patients decisions to continue trying naturally while suggesting little "speedier" methods like Clomid and the likes.

Starhaven is offline Registered User
    Agree with vanj. I didn't feel like I had to speed things up just because. Dr Doo was respectful of my decision to keep trying while hubby is on Proxeed, reminding that given the sperm production cycle, it takes at least 3 months to have an effect from when you start taking it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast