Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory


restrictions on applying for school child born outside HK

  1. #1
    hugotse55 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    restrictions on applying for school child born outside HK

    HI, any advise would be really appreciated. My son was born outside HK and only holds a 2 year visa to reside in HK. His father has permanent HK residency but I am also only on a 2 year dependency visa. When I come to apply for Kindergarten and primary school for him are there any restrictions, eg not able to apply to local stream, or to government schools? I was not able to find much information on the gov sites

  2. #2
    Vegetable1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015

    When you apply, they usually ask for a birth certificate. My daughter is born outside HK and for Creative Kindergarten they called and asked if she has Hong Kong right of abode / HKID card etc. Others didn't ask. All kindergartens are private or run by non-government organisations though, so there are no official restrictions - just up to the kindergarten.

    The Pre-primary education voucher scheme (PEVS) for Kindergartens requires HK residency though.

  3. #3
    2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hong Kong

    While your son is legally residing here there are no restrictions on what schools she can apply to. There are thousands of children in similar situations here, it is a complete non-issue.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
  2. Applying for Passport for New Born
    By jaz1311 in forum Baby Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
  3. Applying for Primary School Places
    By madaboutCows in forum Education
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 09:23 PM
  4. child refusing to go to school
    By Linda&Hanley in forum Education
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
  5. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Scroll to top