Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doggymixed

Latest on What to Expect in Public System

karima is offline Registered User

Latest on What to Expect in Public System

Hi all,

I'm a Tung Chung mom-to-be, 8 weeks this week. There are many threads and info tidbits around about what to expect for maternal care in the public health system, but from those bits I gather there have been changes at times in recent years so I'm wondering if anyone can share the very latest, perhaps from your own experience?

So far, I've been to the maternal health clinic and taken in my 'proof of pregnancy' (both a blood test result from my private GP and results from a test given at the Wan Chai Women's Health Clinic). I then was given a first appointment for next week, when I'll be about 9 + 4. I thought I would have an ultrasound at that appointment as I specifically asked the attendant who registered me, but my GP said they never do ultrasounds at the clinic, just at the hospital. Perhaps a bit of a language barrier issue there....GP says that at my first clinic appointment, I'll then get an appointment for the ultrasound at the hospital.

On these boards it seems that at one point, one could expect an ultrasound at the hospital at 12 weeks and then one at 20 weeks. But then some hospitals cut that back to just one?

I am happy to stick with just public care for now as long as I'll hear a heartbeat/have an ultrasound by the 12 week mark. If neither of those things will happen, then I will book a private appointment.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I can expect at the public maternal health clinic for my first appointment? I am assuming bloodwork....what else? Will I get to hear the little bean's heartbeat? Have you recently had/been booked for your first public ultrasound? At how many weeks?

qdoodles is offline Registered User
    Hi Karima,

What you're describing seems to be the norm in the public system, I believe. I had my first appointment at QE a couple of weeks ago. I'm now at 11+2 days. I've been seeing my private gyn on the side, and am prepared to continue doing that. The nurse that sat down with me at QE seemed to be suggesting the same. She said I was very 'lucky' that I got to have two appointments with them, because one of them is basically a lucky draw by the system, and only 1/4 (or 1/9, I can't remember which) women can get a second scan, or something to that extent.

At the first appointment at QE, one would expect to first register at the counter, and then head over to take your weight and height. Then, if you speak Chinese, you would be arrange to hear a talk with the midwife, who can talk really, really fast, about the overview of what to expect, when to register for antenatal class, when to take the downs syndrome test, etc. Then, you would wait some more after the talk to be called to meet with the midwife personally to discuss your medical history, SO's medical history, and schedule next appointments. If you don't speak Chinese, then you would be directed to meet with the nurse/midwife directly, and all the information in the talk would be provided in a pamphlet/booklet given to everyone to read. I got the next five appointments set up at the first meeting there, and felt that there was a lot of information to be digested. No ultrasound was scheduled at the first appointment until you get to see the doctor the next time you go back. I have my downe syndrome test set up for next week at about 12+ weeks. She also registered the antenatal class (in English, which is only conducted once a month) for us in January. Then after all the paperwork, I was redirected to the lab for blood work to be drawn (think it was for glucose level, Thelesima (sp?) abnormalities, etc)They will only call if there's something wrong.
    I hope that helps a bit, and feel free to pm if you'd like to know more, or if you'd like to chat about other baby matters. I'm a first time mom myself, and by no means is this representative of what all moms-to-be have experienced. Hope things will go well for you.

Thanks a lot, qdoodles. I think I will go ahead and make a private appointment. Will pm you as well, thanks!

Doggymixed is offline Registered User
    Hi Karima, I live in Tung Chung as well and recently gave birth to a baby boy. He is 4 months old now. I gave birth at St. Theresa hospita, private hospitall via C-section. But I go back to the Tung Chung Health Clinic at Fu Tung Estate for baby's check up and vaccination. I know they do check up for pregnant women as well as postpartum check up. You may want to call and see. Good Luck!
    karima likes this.

Thank you and congrats on your healthy boy! I did go to the clinic and had my first appointment today. All went well but I have decided to go "half and half" and also saw a private OBGYN to have an early scan, ahead of the hospital's Down's Syndrome test. Happy with the care both places.