Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hello from a clueless father-to-be!

Little-meow is offline Registered User

Red face Hello from a clueless father-to-be!

Hi all,

I am so happy that my wife is pregnant but I don't know where to start now. I am completely clueless! I need some advise from you kind people

*How many ultrasound scans do you need for the whole duration of the pregnancy?
    *Can we go for doctor consultations and ultrasound scans from public hospital but deliver the baby private? Will this work?

I have no idea what to do right now, any advice from you guys would be fantastic!

Me and my wife are both HK/UK dual nationals.

Thanks in advance!

charade is offline Registered User

Congratulations!

The public system offers one or two free scans (for down's testing and for a morphological check). This could be seen as the base number of scans you need. Private doctors do a scan every month, and the bill can rack up. Sometimes the scans are useful, such as when it was discovered that my baby was in breech position, which the manual checks at the public clinic did not detect. Mostly, they're for your own interest in seeing the progress.

The public hospital checks are basic so most people do the opposite of what you suggest - they deliver public (mostly due to financial constraints but sometimes because of complications that the public hospitals are better equipped to handle) and supplement with private doctor visits.

For my second child, I planned to go private but did use the public hospital system - for example to get the free scans. In the end, I delivered public as I needed an emergency c-section as I couldn't afford that in private.

What combination you opt for is up to you. The punching system doesn't object to you supplementing with private care, some private doctors might insist on seeing you a minimum number of times if you're delivering with them.

rani is offline Administrator

Congratulations Father-to-be!

Have a read through this article which we've done our best to describe the various options available.

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Founded GeoBaby in 2002