Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Coping with silent reflux

baby-g is offline Registered User

Coping with silent reflux

Hi there
    Its challenging to cope with baby with silent reflux
    Currently my baby is 3 months and the reflux is getting worse.
    What worry me is she refuse to take milk . She is hungry but she could not take more - just screaming , crying , arching her back,, pulling her hair.
    I am currently bottle feed (Avent) the expressed breast milk and only direct breast feed in midnight and early morning . Sometimes top up with formula as well. (HIPP)
    In good times, feeding take only 5 mins and she can finish 120 mil ,, which is not frequent ,
    And frequently in bad days, she take 40 to 100 mil in 2 hours . With many pauses during the feeding with crying, burping, hold upright to calm her down, etc.

I also notice that she put her tounge out like she try to vomit , sometimes , when she is about to drink. then she refuse.

I am so stressed dealing with this, a private pediatric ask me just to cope with it and try to relax her then feed.,
    Another pediatric prescribe me antacid . ( which I keep it as last option now)

I also brought her to see osteopath . But was told it will takes a few session to see the improvement .

Seeking your advice how to cope with silent reflux or what treatment you do ?

Many thanks

charade is offline Registered User
    Hi, sorry you're going through this. My son also had reflux and he grew out of it around four months though some babies take six months. Doctors also told me to deal with it as the baby was gaining weight. However it's hard to see your baby in pain. Some basic things:

1. Reflux babies hate to lie flat on their back. Prop the bed up so they are sleeping on am incline.
    2. You need to burb the baby in between feeds. This is because he's gassy and so thinks he's full but actually full of gas so will get hungry again soon. This is easier said and done, my son could rarely get a burb out which was the problem I guess.
    3. Before the feed give the baby infacol. You get it at any pharmacy and it is safe. Check with your doctor if in doubt.
    4. If you're bottle feeding use doctor brown bottles. They have a system to ensure the baby doesn't gulp air
    5. Sometimes the baby may be reacting to something in your breastmilk. You could try eliminating diary products, eggs and nuts which are the common culprits. Google reflux babies allergy to get more ideas. Some people are able to figure out quite easily what it is. I was never able to and ended up eating only congee for a month and nearly losing my mind.
    6. Because reflux babies often have a cows milk allergy you need to be careful what formula you give. You may need a special formula. Check with your doctor. Is hipp a special formula?
    7. Three months is still young. Reflux babies like to cuddle. We pretty much carried my baby non stop.
    8. In the day he slept in the fisher price ticket chair. It has a vibrate fucftion that also helps.
    9. We ended up giving my son the antacid. I think it helped him. It is not really harmful as far as I know. My cousin who's a doctor in the US and also has a baby with severe reflux also said it's safe.
    10. Reflux babies are hard to care for. Get as much help as you can - your family, husband, if you have a helper. Work in shifts
    11.reflux baby moms are often depressed. If you feel you're crying and stressed all the time, get a counsellor. The governments maternal health clinic also proved psychiatric nurses.

Take care, and please PM me if you need further advice.

baby-g is offline Registered User
    Hi Charade,
    Many thanks for your advice.
    Pm sent to you

Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    Hi, sorry you're going through this. My son also had reflux and he grew out of it around four months though some babies take six months. Doctors also told me to deal with it as the baby was gaining weight. However it's hard to see your baby in pain. Some basic things:

1. Reflux babies hate to lie flat on their back. Prop the bed up so they are sleeping on am incline.
    2. You need to burb the baby in between feeds. This is because he's gassy and so thinks he's full but actually full of gas so will get hungry again soon. This is easier said and done, my son could rarely get a burb out which was the problem I guess.
    3. Before the feed give the baby infacol. You get it at any pharmacy and it is safe. Check with your doctor if in doubt.
    4. If you're bottle feeding use doctor brown bottles. They have a system to ensure the baby doesn't gulp air
    5. Sometimes the baby may be reacting to something in your breastmilk. You could try eliminating diary products, eggs and nuts which are the common culprits. Google reflux babies allergy to get more ideas. Some people are able to figure out quite easily what it is. I was never able to and ended up eating only congee for a month and nearly losing my mind.
    6. Because reflux babies often have a cows milk allergy you need to be careful what formula you give. You may need a special formula. Check with your doctor. Is hipp a special formula?
    7. Three months is still young. Reflux babies like to cuddle. We pretty much carried my baby non stop.
    8. In the day he slept in the fisher price ticket chair. It has a vibrate fucftion that also helps.
    9. We ended up giving my son the antacid. I think it helped him. It is not really harmful as far as I know. My cousin who's a doctor in the US and also has a baby with severe reflux also said it's safe.
    10. Reflux babies are hard to care for. Get as much help as you can - your family, husband, if you have a helper. Work in shifts
    11.reflux baby moms are often depressed. If you feel you're crying and stressed all the time, get a counsellor. The governments maternal health clinic also proved psychiatric nurses.

Take care, and please PM me if you need further advice.

sunshine211520 is offline Registered User
    Hi can you please pm me your Ped ? Thanks a lot!