Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

NIPT Test at Tsan Yuk

JosieN79 is offline Registered User

NIPT Test at Tsan Yuk

Hi All,

I am 36y/o expecting my first baby mid August, and thought it might be useful to share a recent experience here on the forum. We have decided to go Public with the support of the Annerley midwives as my insurance doesn't cover pregnancy (no way we could afford full private ourselves!) and had my first appt at Tsan Yuk just before CNY, including the screening tests for risk of Downs. Was pretty devastated to get a call last Friday from the Nurse asking me to come in and discuss the results as immediately started panicking that there was something wrong. Went in for an appt that morning and they explained that it just meant there was a higher risk (1:120) and i had to decide if i wanted further testing. She asked if we knew anything about the tests available and i mentioned NIPT as i had done some fast reading up on the options online between the phonecall and appt, and i am really not keen on the idea of Amniocentesis due to the risks attached. It turns out they are currently running a trial on NIPT and i was able to sign up for it and have this test at Tsan Yuk! This was a massive surprise as we were expecting to have to see a private doctor and pay for this! They took the blood that morning and we are now nervously awaiting the results.

Just wanted to put it up here for any other expecting Mums as not sure if they only talked about the trial because i mentioned the NIPT anyway, or if they will offer it to everyone, so might be worth bringing it up if you find yourself in the same boat!
    rani and Munchyapple like this.

mamamia7 is offline Registered User
    Thank you for sharing this. How did you get on, and how was the rest of your communication with Tsan Yuk? I'm due my first check there next month..a bit nervous!!

Hi Mamamia, everything was ok thankfully and the test came back negative so all good!

So far i have found Tsan Yuk to be great, yes they are quite businesslike and you do tend to have to wait around quite a bit at every appointment, but they are very thorough and seem to check everything properly. They will identify any extra risk factors based on your age, or any other findings from examinations/blood tests etc. and then send you for any necessary further check ups or testing if required, it's all very efficient!

The registration appt and most of the standard check ups i've had so far are not fixed appts, you go along at your given time and there will be lots of other people waiting so you just register your arrival and sit and wait to be called, i think it helps to turn up a little earlier so you are at the start of the queue! Usually there's a few different things they need to do so for example you'll get called in to see the doctor for the check up, then go to a separate nurse to have blood taken, then maybe to another nurse for a scan etc. all within the same visit. At each section they'll tell you where to go and what to do next. It's pretty clear, just a little tedious with the waiting in between, and make sure you listed out for your name/number to be called as sometimes they are a bit quiet! The standard of English is good, i've not had any problems with understanding so far, and the main doctors and nurses are happy for you to ask lots of questions.

Only been across to Queen Mary for one appt so far for a diabetes test and seemed very much the same set up!

Really no need to be nervous (although i was before my first appt. too :-)!!)

mamamia7 is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for the detailed feedback JosieN79!! I sort of panicked and started looking for private doctors yesterday, but when you include the delivery charges (40k and up for normal v/delivery!) total costs add up to twice of what my insurance covers. Will stick to the original plan and go ahead with public system. And very happy everything went well with your test!! I'm also in my 30s so we will see what tests they will come up with for me :)

No worries at all, I was also v. anxious about going public initially but my insurance covers nothing so we didn't have a lot of choices!! We are actually cheating a bit and doing public alongside a package from the Annerley Midwives, nowhere near as expensive as full private but they offer some extra support like breastfeeding help and post natal check ups that i'm not sure you get on public. After having a few appts now i do feel much more comfortable and confident with the public system but it is still nice to have that extra little security blanket, especially as it's my first!

Good luck with your appt! :-)

Kacie is offline Registered User
    Good to hear the appointments and tests are going well.
    I am due to go for my first appointment at Tsan Yuk in a few weeks, I will be 12 weeks then. Do they do a scan at that appointment?
    I have had a couple of early scans at QM due to bleeding. They found 2 sacs and 2 heartbeats.
    I am 42 so I am hoping for a scan due to these circumstances and the same tests Josien79 had.
    Thanks for the advice about the tests!

Hi Kacie, yes i had a scan on my first appt at Tsan Yuk, at around 12 weeks, i think it was standard, they gave me a choice to wait and have it that day or if i wanted to come back for another appt and i opted to have it the same day.

So you're having twins then? How exciting!

Kacie is offline Registered User
    Thanks. I'll go for the same day too hopefully.
    My friend told me she was not offered any blood test for Down's syndrome due to her age, over 40, which I thought was a bit strange. I'm just going
    To assume they will do what they should and will let them get on with it.

Josie, yes at last scan twins!
    But I am aware that this may not be the case at the next scan.
    But worried about next scan as not feeling much of anything now (11w3d), except for a little cramping and sore boobs. I think I'll be surprised if they see anything in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast