Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoMcK

Queen Mary Hospital - undisturbed birth

Carey-Ann is offline Registered User

Queen Mary Hospital - undisturbed birth

Hi there,

I am having my first baby in August at Queen Mary Hospital and I have to have a c-section. I know there are restrictions regarding having a birth plan but I wondered what the possibility of having an undisturbed hour after birth (want skin-to-skin contact with many immediately after birth with attempt to breastfeed). Are staff flexible/open to this?

Any information from moms that have given birth at QMH would be greatly appreciated!

Carey

rani is offline Administrator
    Queen Mary does allow Birth Plans. Their version is online here:

http://www.obsgyn.hku.hk/files/birth...h_plan_eng.pdf

They will take baby away for about 10-15 mins just to do the necessary checks and then hand her over for some skin to skin.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

JoMcK is offline Registered User
    Hi Carey
    I had to have an 'emergency' c-section at QMH 2 years ago and as soon as my son was out they did a quick check then brought him round to us for a quick **** /cuddle then took him back to the paed doctors for a few mins of checks. After that they handed him to my husband for skin to skin in a separate room while I was getting stitched back up again. My husband really loved that time with him as he was left alone apart from the odd check by the nurses. They had a special 20 mins or so together, then they brought him back to me once I was in recovery for skin to skin and first feed.

So as long as your baby is breathing well etc when he/she comes out then hopefully your partner can get skin to skin with them. You will (most likely) have your arms out tied down so can't physically cuddle the baby until you are back in recovery. Also be strict that your baby stays with you - they kept trying to whip my son away to give him his first bath as soon as we arrived on the ward!! You will be then left alone for a good while until they come to do bloods etc and more checks.

Good luck, the medical staff are very good at the QMH and you are in very good surgical hands for a c-section. Just stick to your guns if you want something and don't be afraid to keep repeating yourself until they get the message…

Oh and for post op-ask well in advance for pain relief they're a bit slow/unwilling to give the strong stuff unless you ask for it, then have to wait for pharmacy etc to dispense. so better not to wait until you wake up sore!!
    addydos11 likes this.

JoMcK is offline Registered User
    the 4 stars in that post should read k i s s !!