Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Milk to share?

nalrihs is offline Registered User

Milk to share?

Hello, I have a month old baby and my milk supply is very slow but he doesn't take formula. I'd like to know if anyone has any milk to share please? Thank you very much

BelleandJustin is offline Registered User

Sorry that you are struggling with milk supply. I have a 4 month old and just pumping barely enough for him to continue exclusively on breastmilk. I find that Hong Kong does not have any organizations or programs for breast milk banks for donations or sharing. The only recommendations I have for you are some things to increase your milk supply:

1) rest - sleep is essential to you being able to produce milk. I know it's hard but you must get as much rest as possible
    2) hydration - drink lots of water or coconut water throughout the day
    3) foods that can help increase supply: papaya, pumpkin (and pumpkin seeds), moringa leaf (can be found at the Philippine grocery store in Central), nuts (like almonds, cashews, chestnut), green leafy vegetables.

The first few months are hard but please don't give up - hope this helps!

BebeG922 is offline Registered User

Hi nalrihs,

while you are seemingly dejected that your milk supply is low I would not suggest you ask to share milk with anyone. It is not very hygienic, moreover, I used to work with a charity where constituents were HIV+ kids in rural China. Some of these kids contracted HIV through milk sharing (it is common in rural China for someone else to provide milk to a newborn infant).

Have you thought about seeking out a lactation consultant? Try a lactation consultant who is IBCLC certified or look up La Leche League. A particularly excellent one is Mrs. Chee of Everdawn Midwives. Just know that she is not "touchy-feely" like some others but has done wonders for many milk-supply-challenged moms.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by nalrihs View Post
    Hello, I have a month old baby and my milk supply is very slow but he doesn't take formula. I'd like to know if anyone has any milk to share please? Thank you very much

nalrihs is offline Registered User

Hi BebeG22,

Thanks for your comments.
    I've been to Mrs Chee's place three times and I'm doing all the things she asked... still trying my best to increase my milk supply. Will see her again next week. Thanks for your advice again.

iyonata is offline Registered User

I had the same issue with my first child. But I had more milk supply for my second child. I was able to freeze quite a lot of milk in preparation of going back to work full time . But alas, my baby refuses to drink previously-frozen milk. I now have about 30 six-oz bags of frozen milk sitting since November 2015. I think it's past the expiration date for consumption. There goes 180 ounces of my hard-earned breastmilk. :(