Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dr. Edwin Tam and Dr. Lucy Lord - Natural deliveries?

Sunstars is offline Registered User

Question Dr. Edwin Tam and Dr. Lucy Lord - Natural deliveries?

Please share your delivery experiences with Dr. Edwin Tam and Dr. Lucy Lord.

I am looking for a Dr. who is pro-natural births and will not push a C-section on me at the last moment (unless absolutely necessary, medically).

Have heard that many private Drs. in HK make women have a C-section at the last minute - for convenience (?).

Also, do share experiences in Matilda hospital - do they also have many hidden costs for a normal delivery? Have heard hidden costs are high in Sanatorium and Adventist.

Appreciate your inputs.

lilfish is offline Registered User
    Dr Edwin Tam is Australian Trained and quite pro-natural. He has just joined Central Health from OT&P which is saying something about his stats at least. I'm 34 weeks along and he has never once hinted at the C-section route. he's a realist (I'm still drinking my coffee and have no fear about waking up lying on my back at night ;-)), but quite gentle with great bedside manner (unlike the feedback from those who have Lucy). He explains things well. I can update you in 5 weeks once I've delivered lol!

Also, the midwives at matilda all say the same things - you have options and you just need to learn about them and how to reduce the chance of medical intervention. Don't go to the hospital too early, don't get too much of the epidural so that you can't feel a thing... avoid induction unless medically necessary... as with anywhere private in the world, you just have to be a little researched rather than blindy comply. the biggest tip they give is that if all is ok, stay at home for as long as you can to avoid intervention - if your labour stalls in hospital they'll induce you, if they break your waters, you will need to deliver the baby one way or another within 24hours to avoid infection (which seemingly has the most chance of developing through the standard cervical checks).

I was super nervous about all these things but was very reassured by the midwife's opinions and stance when we did our antenatal classes (through Matilda as we're delivering there) - the midwives are great, mostly trained in the UK or elsewhere and are your voice when you need them. you just need to be strong and know your options.

good luck!

Sunstars is offline Registered User
    Thank you lilfish, your response really helps. At 27 weeks pregnant (1st pregnancy) and in a new city, such experiences make a world of difference!
    Take good care. Would love to hear back from you post your delivery - when your little one allows :)

nusguy5 is offline Registered User
    Hey Lilfish, thanks for sharing - just checking in, how did your delivery go?

Hey

sorry for the late reply. Dr Tam was amazing. I was given the Pro Pess Pessary to ripen my cervix after slight heart rate and pre-eclampsia concerns. they had the induction drip on hand but didn't need it thankfully - bub was posterior so facing the wrong way but Dr Tam managed to turn her mid way through thankfully. He was so calm and relaxed and even when I was objecting to the induction etc, he was ok with that and just explaining what outcomes might occur if bub were to become distressed (she stopped half way for a while as my cervix wasn't quite dilated enough for her to get through).

It was a long labour - 12 hours from the time my waters were broken. Silvie was my midwife on the delivery day and she was also incredible!!!

overall I felt like I was being heard and they were trying their best to avoid any interventions while still keeping bub safe and happy throughout. if I did it all again I would choose Dr Tam for sure!

So apart from the initial pessary, it was a drug free delivery.