Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Unable to express using electric breastpump

punky is offline Registered User

Unable to express using electric breastpump

I am currently nursing my one-month old and return to work soon. I bought a double pump but am expressing no milk whatsoever. I can hand-express but only very little (if I'm lucky, no more than 1 oz. each session).

Does anyone have any advice? I would like to continue feeding my daughter bm for as long as she wants.

Any help much appreciated.

Albina is offline Registered User

Hello there!
    First of all i want to say that it is so good you do breastfeeding! And this problem happens very often* to breasfeeding women!
    I was breastfeeding for 19 months and finished 1month ago and I had a lot of issues at the beginning.
    Hand-expressing will go easily only after a lot of practise (the bf consultant can show you how to do it easily without hurting nipples) so after you will be able to fill a 200ml cup just in a few mins.
    I could express just a little of milk with my medela electric breastpump* and so after I was desperate I decided to buy a new Avent electric single breastpump which was so perrrrfect to me. So try to use a single pump at first or maybe someone can give you a try on their breastpump. (Btw My friend could* hand -express in a few seconds a full cup but she couldn't do even a bit with electrical one ).
    2) There are two hormones which are responsible for your breast milk. Prolactin will produce your milk and Oxytocin is responsible for pushing the breast milk through your breast, so "the let-down reflex". Scientists say that looking at you baby or on his photo or just by lisening the baby cry will release oxytocin. So when pumping you can try this. (When I was breastfeeding my breasts could start leaking brestmilk when I just heard my baby cry.I am sure you can find* a lot of info about oxytocine in Google.*
    3) Finally, Your body adapts milk production to the amount being demanded. So if you start supplementing your milk with formula or other supplements, your milk supply will go down. The more you feed your baby, the more milk your body will produce.
    Hope everything will go perfect with your breastfeeding! Hello there! It happens very often* to women!
    I was breastfeeding for 19 months abd finished 1month ago and I had a lot of issues at the beginning.
    Hand-expressing will go easily only after a lot of practise (the bf consultant can show you how to do it easily) so after you will be able to fill a 200ml cup just in a few mins.
    I could express just a little of milk with my medela electric breastpump* and so after my cries my husband bought me an Avent electric single breastpump which was so perrrrfect to me. So try to use a single pump at first or maybe someone can give you a try on their breastpump. (Btw My friend could* hand -express in a few seconds a full cup but she couldn't do even a bit with electrical one ).
    2) There are two hormones which are responsible for your breast milk. Prolactin will produce your milk and Oxytocin is responsible for pushing the breast milk through your breast, so "the let-down reflex". Scientists say that looking at you baby or on his photo or just by lisening the baby cry will release oxytocin. So when pumping you can try this. (When I was breastfeeding my breasts were leaking brestmilk when I just heared my baby cry.I am sure you can find* a lot of info about oxytocine in Google.*
    3) Finally, Your body adapts milk production to the amount being demanded. So if you start supplementing your milk with formula or other supplements, your milk supply will go down. The more you feed your baby, the more milk your body will produce.
    Hope everything will go perfect with you breastfeeding!

Albina is offline Registered User

Sorry for making a double post!?? looks so huge omg ??