Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Toddler schooling schedule and working mom

Pinkbunny22 is offline Registered User

Question Toddler schooling schedule and working mom

Hi all,

I am still naive and researching about preschool, education, childcare options for my child.
    I've searched many forums but I just can get the answer I need.

I and planning to take my daughter (will be 2 years old), without my husband, to take a job in Hong Kong.

I see that most preschool schedules are half day to 12 pm or full day to 4pm.
    Can any working mom share how to manage toddler's day time while working?
    For example:
    9-12 preschool program, then nanny or help?
    9-4 preschool, then nanny?
    What is the typical schedule?

How can I make it work for my possible working hours from 8 or 9am to 6 or 7pm? or even later?
    Are there extended childcare options available at preschools?
    Do I definitely need to get domestic helper?
    Nanny would be very expensive for regular coverage of the missing hours, any tips?

Any sharing of comments, information, websites, preschool sites, would help.

Thank you in advance!

revesi is offline Registered User

Hello, most children aged 2 will go to school for a maximum of 4 hours. There are very limited childcare options available in Hong Kong. This is simply because working parents rely on domestic helpers to take care of the children. Many schools offer the choice of afternoon or morning session. You can have a look at Woodlands, Safari Kids, IMS, Sunshine House for more information.

Dear revesi,

Many thanks for your kind reply and information on the general childcare culture in Hong Kong.

It seems that getting domestic helper should be on my priority list when I am settling in.
    I was unsure of the need for this, but a helper support does help bring peace of mind and easier work arrangements, thank you for helping me with this decision.
    I will prepare myself for the half day school + helper schedule for my toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by revesi View Post
    Hello, most children aged 2 will go to school for a maximum of 4 hours. There are very limited childcare options available in Hong Kong. This is simply because working parents rely on domestic helpers to take care of the children. Many schools offer the choice of afternoon or morning session. You can have a look at Woodlands, Safari Kids, IMS, Sunshine House for more information.

okbaby is offline Registered User

For me I have a domestic helper but some of my friends and colleagues rely on the babysitter (you need to bring them to their place of stay) who will take care of your child and bring them to pre-school and back.

Dear okbaby,

If babysitter can do the pre-school drop off and pick-up it would solve alot of problems.
    I think for the initial period settling in I will not be ready to have space for live-in helper or to deal with the many associated issues.
    Thank you so much for your reply and opening up the options for me!