Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Amniocentesis - To Take Or Not To Take?

Mama_Bebe is offline Registered User

Amniocentesis - To Take Or Not To Take?

Hi fellow mums! In a few days from now, will be having my amniocentesis test. From my Down's screening, my blood result came back positive for Down's with a high risk of 1:150 levels (just turned 38 last month). Nuchal scan is normal so was surprised to received a call back from the hospital.

With my previous pregnancies (have 2 kids) both are fine. Added we don't undergo such kind of test on my native country. We just usually do regular prenatal check ups so this was really new to me but through research was able to know more about it.

I have read that Down's screening are inaccurate so mostly results are false positives and that the good news is taking Amnio or CVS will usually give you a negative result which somewhat gives me a relief.

I was told that it has 1% chance of miscarriage which I really don't want to take the risk. Also I have watched how they do the amnio and really scared just watching it alone. Added I feel that baby is just fine, and whatever it takes will keep my little one with me.

Anyone who took amnio test before? How was it? And to those who haven't, what other ways did you do? As I was trying to cancel my appointment and I was asked if so, what is my other way of knowing if I my baby will have it or not?

I was offered NIPT, would love to as this is non invasive but really can't afford, it is expensive. Do you know where I can find a cheaper one or any other means of test that I can go through?

Thanks for your help my fellow mums! Appreciate it...

awuhk is offline Registered User

The question is what would you do if result is positive. If you would act, then do either amnio or nipt. Cost for nipt can be as low as 5,000 I heard. If you would not act, then don't take it. If you think nipt is expensive, consider expense of special needs child. Miscarriage risk of amnio can be even lower than 1% but is really luck as depends on how well placenta adheres as it does not heal after, only minimally to do with doctor. As a superstitious person, if I was so unlucky, I would consider it was not meant to be...