Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rojees

prenatal checks - private vs public

rojees is offline Registered User

prenatal checks - private vs public

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, nice meeting you all here.

My wife and I recently just discovered she is pregnant (very likely), as she has done numerous home pregnancy tests.

As a result, we need to see a doctor to confirm it and also to arrange for the 1st ultrasound fairly soon. We are planning to go private for the birth but as the costs all add up, we are therefore thinking of getting the prenatals checkups done publicly first.

I would like some advice on:

1/ is it possible (my understanding is yes) to do all prenatal checkups PUBLICLY but then go privately for the birth?
    2/ if so, can you please share your experience? Do we need to "share" this information with the doctors/hospitals early on? I honestly do not know much about this.

Thank you so much in advance!

adianez likes this.

hjk
    hjk is offline Registered User

Hi Rojees,

First of all, congratulations on the exciting news to you and your wife..! :-)

Im in week 16 so im also at an early stage, but I am kind of doing what you mentioned (public check ups & private delivery), so i thought i should let u know what i have experienced so far.

1. Yes - im getting my check ups now at public MCHC.
    In order to receive check ups at public system, you first need to see a private doctor & get a confirmation letter of pregnancy. Then you can contact your local MCHC to book for the first check up (normally this is at week 11). You can find out which one is your local MCHC on the link below. They normally are a busy operation so good to make appointment well in advance (i made mine 4 weeks advance.. just because i didnt know the system and i wanted to make sure i would get an appointment for week 11)

Family Health Service - Maternal Health

I have friends who had check ups publicly and gave birth at private hospitals, so its possible.

2. You don't need to tell the public clinic about it. Maybe a good idea to let your private doctor know, if you already have a doctor that you like for delivery. In my case, im still on the early stage so I am still considering on the doctor.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you, your wife and the little one..! :-)

H

rojees is offline Registered User

Thanks H! Appreciate the reply!

We have done an ultrasound now and next month will be going back to to the Nifty test privately and Oscar test at POW hospital.

Hope all is well with you!