Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Just found out I'm expecting my first, doctor/hospital recommdation?

shamk is offline Registered User

Just found out I'm expecting my first, doctor/hospital recommdation?

Hi lovely mommies,

Please could you share you recent birth experience at Union or Canossa hospital and how much was the total cost including doctor fee?

I just found out I'm over 4 weeks pregnant and came as a surprise as we've only been trying for 2 months so we're very excited! :) I'm now looking for a good gyno who's pro natural birth and bf, I haven't been to my first checkup yet and totally confused if I should pick hospital first or gyno first? I have insurance which has a cap of 80K for all cost from antenatal to birth so looking for someone with reasonable doctors fee.

I've looked up maternity packages on both hospital but want to know whats the doctor fee like so I understand the range, will also be calling for a tour at both hospitals. Please recommend your doctor and fee.

Thanks!
    F30 likes this.

F30
    F30 is offline Registered User
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I’ve also just found I’m 5 weeks pregnant and went to my usual Dr today for confirmation. He recommended Union as it is where he had his children delivered and gave me the contact details for the OBGYN that delivered them. I’ll do my own research too but he made a valid point about keeping your mind open to both public and private. Basically if your baby needs neonatal care or any unexpected situation, you may have to go through public because of the high costs. He told me to register at a public hospital so that I have the option should I need to and also to make an appt with a OBGYN who works at a private hospital too.
    I’ve found so much info on here already. Let me try send you a link that I found with dr fees from 2016, which I’m using as a ball park to get me started.
    Good luck!!
    shamk likes this.

F30

rani is offline Administrator
    Congratulations!

Have a read through this article which will answer some of your questions. You don't need to see a Dr till you're about 8 weeks pregnant. Pop into a pharmacy and get some folic acid. It's very important for early development.

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Here's a list of Expat friendly Drs
    Popular Gynecologists in Hong Kong - Hong Kong GeoBaby
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

F30
    I just went to register at the public hospital today at Prince Of Wales, shatin. They’ve given me an appt for end of Feb for general check up and downs test. My Dr said to go ASAP as the waiting lists can be long.
    Let me know how you’re getting along :)

shamk is offline Registered User
    Thanks F30! Big congrats to you too! Thanks for your advice, I'm aware of differences in public & private and understand private is not well equipped in terms of neonatal stuff. I was born in POW myself :) Would you be able to share the obgyn who your doc recommended. I've so far short-listed 2 who deliver at union from all the research I've been doing myself past week or so. Will seriously think about registering at public as well. We should definitely stay in touch and share the journey :)

Thanks Rani for all the tips, I've been taking folic acid since November and have now started DHA since I learned I'm expecting. Trying to find the right doc to book an appointment for week 8.

F30
    Just had my first appointment with the OBGYN recommended by my Dr. Very pleased with her. She seemed very nice and friendly and when I freaked out in her office she was very understanding. She is Dr. Fok at prestige medical in TST she delivers at Union. So far so good. Saw the bean although nothing to really see today as too early. I’ve another appt in two weeks which she says will show the heartbeat and confirm the due date. Had I know I’d probably have waited for then instead of going twice but think I just wanted to be assured everything was a Im the right place and meet the OBGYN.
    Yes keep in touch :)
    shamk likes this.

F30
    Who did you shortlist? Out of curiousity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast