Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BebeG922
  • 1 Post By rani
  • 1 Post By rani

Pregnancy registration process in Hong Kong government hospitals.

garry8627 is offline Registered User

Pregnancy registration process in Hong Kong government hospitals.

Hi Friends,

We got a great news this week. My wife is super excited about this. She is Pregnant ???? . Her last period date was about 5 weeks ago.
    We consulted obstetrics who confirmed pregnancy. He also advised us to explore the possibilities of Public hospitals here in Hong Kong, mentioning that Public hospitals in Hong Kong are very safe and in some cases even better than Private hospitals.

I haven’t decided yet as I should go for Public or Private hospital. However, someone suggested me to get it registered at Government hospital first.

Today, I called Queens Mary hospital to understand the registration process. They guided me to first register at “Tsan Yuk Hospital”. I called them, but they picked up my call only on 4th occasion. Also, the lady with whom I spoke was not able to understand English clearly. She asked me my Name, Contact Number and my Wife’s HKID details. She mentioned that someone from their hospital will call me tomorrow.

What I want to know is –
    1) What is the procedure for registration at “Tsan Yuk Hospital”. Do I have to go there in Person or this will be done on the Phone.

2) Is there any other registration center in Hong Kong island, preferably near Causeway bay or Wan Chai?

3) Will doctors perform initial screening during registration process. If yes, then will that be immediate or I will have to book appointment first for that.

4) In case of appointment booking, when can I get an appointment i.e. after how many weeks?

Thanks friends for all your helpful advice on this.

BebeG922 is offline Registered User

To answer your question, yes, if you did not already get the sense that at Tsan Yuk they are quite busy and the staffs' English speaking ability is limited. I do recall maybe one or two staff members spoke better English. Major checks would be performed there, otherwise your wife would go private/ MCHC clinic for regular checks. Rest assured if you do go public Tsan Yuk and QM Hospital would do well. Major checks would be at Tsan Yuk and delivery at Queen Mary. Other check-ups would be done privately or at the local MCHC. In any case, you should register public for a few good reasons--

1) efficient and no nonsense care especially at delivery time
    2) an unexpected emergency
    3) should there be any hesitation or doubts at your regular clinical (MCHC) checks they immediately refer you to Tsan Yuk or Queen Mary
    4) they take your concerns very seriously unlike private doctors whose reactions all vary

the downside

1) wait times are long
    2)English speaking staff limited (except Queen Mary, but that is delivery)
    3) they tend to be conservative (in everything, such as breech positions, writing sick/maternity leave papers, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by garry8627 View Post
    Hi Friends,

We got a great news this week. My wife is super excited about this. She is Pregnant ???? . Her last period date was about 5 weeks ago.
    We consulted obstetrics who confirmed pregnancy. He also advised us to explore the possibilities of Public hospitals here in Hong Kong, mentioning that Public hospitals in Hong Kong are very safe and in some cases even better than Private hospitals.

I haven’t decided yet as I should go for Public or Private hospital. However, someone suggested me to get it registered at Government hospital first.

Today, I called Queens Mary hospital to understand the registration process. They guided me to first register at “Tsan Yuk Hospital”. I called them, but they picked up my call only on 4th occasion. Also, the lady with whom I spoke was not able to understand English clearly. She asked me my Name, Contact Number and my Wife’s HKID details. She mentioned that someone from their hospital will call me tomorrow.

What I want to know is –
    1) What is the procedure for registration at “Tsan Yuk Hospital”. Do I have to go there in Person or this will be done on the Phone.

2) Is there any other registration center in Hong Kong island, preferably near Causeway bay or Wan Chai?

3) Will doctors perform initial screening during registration process. If yes, then will that be immediate or I will have to book appointment first for that.

4) In case of appointment booking, when can I get an appointment i.e. after how many weeks?

BebeG922 is offline Registered User

Apologies, with regards to your questions
    What I want to know is –
    1) What is the procedure for registration at “Tsan Yuk Hospital”. Do I have to go there in Person or this will be done on the Phone. Going in person (based on my recollection and experience) is preferable.

2) Is there any other registration center in Hong Kong island, preferably near Causeway bay or Wan Chai? NO other registration but there is a MCHC clinic in Wanchai near Ruttonjee

3) Will doctors perform initial screening during registration process. If yes, then will that be immediate or I will have to book appointment first for that. Do not recall, but went in person to Tsan Yuk then went back to clinic then made bookings via clinic.

4) In case of appointment booking, when can I get an appointment i.e. after how many weeks? I recall at least 10 weeks b/c sorry to say this but I do think there is still a high risk of miscarriage at 5 weeks ( but could be wrong though that was my sense when I tried to make a booking for earlier). I first went private then registered at public.

Quote Originally Posted by garry8627 View Post
    Hi Friends,

What I want to know is –

garry8627 likes this.

rani is offline Administrator

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Have a read through this article which should answer most of your questions.

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Also, hope your Dr gave you some prenatal vitamins or Folic Acid. Very important in the first trimester.

garry8627 likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

garry8627 is offline Registered User

Thats really a great information. Thanks a lot BabyG.

I received a call back just before some time , from “Tsan Yuk Hospital” and they gave me an appointment after 13 weeks. And even in this appointment, only Nurse will perform initial tests. No doctor will be involved.

Also, I called WanChai MCHC, and they mentioned to me that earliest appointment I can get is in June.

I am really surprised to hear that. No government hospitals conduct testing in early stage. They all want to start medication only after 13 weeks.
    I believe there must a process in place where pregnant women would be checked at early stage to see whether she is capable enough to deliver or she need to get some medication to make sure that she can deliver healthy baby.

I think only option is to go through Private Channel then.

Please let me know if you also had the similar experience and how did you manage to cope up with this.

Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator

Yes, that is the norm in public hospitals and hence many will supplement with private care. To be honest, there is not much a Dr can do at this early stage. I remember seeing the Dr at 5 weeks and he told me to get a good pregnancy book. Best to wait till baby is about 8 weeks, and you should be able to hear a heartbeat.

garry8627 likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002