Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ultrasound Concern and Recommendation

geoklnbaby is offline Registered User

Lightbulb Ultrasound Concern and Recommendation

Hello.

My wife is 36.5 weeks pregnant with our first child (her third child). First two boys are 21 and 16, and healthy. She didn't have ultrasounds, but that was overseas, at a time when Ultrasounds were not common in her country.

Here in Hong Kong it is standard practice, and if you refuse it causes a lot of concern. I've refused every ultrasound so far, and after the first two Doppler heartbeats I have refused any further Dopplers.

[I am not concerned with debating whether or not these technologies are safe. They are not, as far as I'm concerned. "Not everything you read on the internet is true. We are medical professionals," said a (public) doctor to me. Well, the only reason I'm concerned is because of what (other) medical professionals are saying and the scientific research they are publishing. There is no (wonderful) 'universal consensus' among all medical professionals on this matter.]

The problem is that the doctors are unsure about the baby's presentation. They aren't sure if the head is up or down or even sideways. So they insist.

I absolutely refuse a Doppler scan (which they said would take less then 1 minute), but might consent to an ultrasound. But the doctor said it would take 5 minutes to do the ultrasound. Even though it takes longer I read that the technology is safer (because ultrasounds are pulsed at intervals whereas Dopplers are continuous ultrasound).

I want to please ask if anyone knows any good, private doctors in HK certified to do ultrasound scans who understands and sympathies with my concerns and knows the dangers of ultrasound that I'm talking of and has experience dealing with clients who have these same concerns, preferably who can do an ultrasound in less then 5 minutes to determine baby position (and size because the doctors are worried my wife is too big, even though she says every pregnancy was like that), placenta and umbilical location, and blood and fluid details.

My wife is 42. This is an urgent request. The public doctors are Please help if you can with any OBGYN suggestions.

Thank you so much. Sorry for the long post.

rani is offline Administrator

The midwives at Annerley will be able to do an ultrasound and check if all is ok.

antenatal and postnatal clinic | Annerley - Pregnant in Hong Kong? Pregnancy, checkups, antenatal classes and birth support

Would also recommend Dr Sally Ferguson. She has years of experience in both public and private care in HK.

Good luck!

Dr. Sally Ferguson - Lauren Bramley & Partners | Medical & Anti-Aging

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

rani is offline Administrator

The midwives at Annerley will be able to do an ultrasound and check if all is ok.

antenatal and postnatal clinic | Annerley - Pregnant in Hong Kong? Pregnancy, checkups, antenatal classes and birth support

Would also recommend Dr Sally Ferguson. She has years of experience in both public and private care in HK.

Good luck!

Dr. Sally Ferguson - Lauren Bramley & Partners | Medical & Anti-Aging

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

geoklnbaby is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for the reply Rani. I contacted Doctor Ferguson's clinic but she's out if town until the 10th. Next QE hospital appointment is the 3rd.

I've only emailed the Annerley clinic just now so I'll have to wait for tomorrow for the reply.

When I was in the womb ultrasounds were eight times weaker, and even at those levels I read that a WHO study showed it causes defects in animals. So what I'm hoping to find is a low energy scan that can be done in under five minutes. Does anyone know if low energy scans can be done and again does anyone have any OBGYNZ's they could recommend for it?