Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Squint surgery for baby

M22022 is offline Registered User

Squint surgery for baby

Hello everyone,

My 1 yr old baby boy have been diagnosed with strabismus. He also has a little bit eye shaking sometimes(nystagmus). We noticed this when he was 6 months old. After doing some research online booked an appointment for his eye check up at 9 months. Since then they did multiple check ups, CT scan, MRI scan for brain. Now the doctor has suggested for squint surgery within next 6 months and we are scared to death!! I'm really worried about the surgery and the recovery process after that. I would greatly appreciate if any of the parents in Hong Kong can share their experience if they had this surgery for their child in early stage(before 2 yrs) .
    The hospital that he is going to be diagnosed is Tuen Mun hospital.

Claire33 is offline Registered User

I havent had much experience personally with my baby but have a lot of experience with squint/opthamology surgery and recovery

The earlier you get it done the better. The recovery is definitely harder in the parents vs the child! Most children recover quite quickly. Most children are most distressed by the eye drops/ointment or eye patch. Your child will need an anaesthetic which can be a bit nerve wracking but sure you are in good hands. Eye will feel a bit gritty and they might be a bit miserable. Regular pain relief and cuddles! However, its actually a short operation and should not have a long recovery

Sure your dr will answer all your questions but thought this might help!