Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Stay at home parent

Frittata is offline Registered User

Stay at home parent

Hi,

I am a new dad, and I work from home. Wondering if any there are any play groups out there that are dad friendly.

We also chose not to have a helper.

J

doodoojuu is offline Registered User

Maybe you can check out Baumhouse (in Wanchai) and try to make some friends there? I've seen the odd dad around, usually around lunchtime! Not exactly what you're looking for, but could be a good start?

Thanks.

Will definitely check it out. I just find it hard to stay home all day alone with a new born. I just don't want to get into a depression, or lose my ability to converse with another human.

doodoojuu is offline Registered User

Also offpoint, but I was talking to a friend about this and she suggested trying a meetup group. There's a one-shot D&D group that plays on Saturday and it looks like someone usually brings their kid (who I think is a toddler). Maybe you could strap your newborn to your chest and head out for some fun!

I hope you find something. Early parenting can be lonely and alienating, but men are rarely (esp. in Hong Kong) in that role and there just aren't the community resources geared towards men. Do you find mom groups (both self formed or say, at the Methodist Church in Wanchai) uninviting?

Definitely looking for Meetup groups. It's just hard to find ones that fit a new born's schedule, during the day. I'll keep looking. D&D as in?

You've got that right about alienating, and being a dad doesn't make it easier. I've had random strangers offer to change my child's diapers. Thanks but no thanks!

In my corporate life, I am an advocate for diversity and inclusion. I find it uninviting if a group starts with "Moms Group". I've tried a few, but with little success. Some have wait lists and others works on an unpublished schedule. I tried the Bub at Pub the other day and I was confronted with an empty pub.

Anyways, thanks for you reply. I'll report back if I find anything.

Tedmond is offline Registered User

Hi,

It’s a shame there aren’t more resources for male caregivers in Hong Kong!

If you’re still looking for a dad-baby connection please drop me a message - I’m a part-time work-from-home mom to an 8 month old and my husband also works from home (and frequently does childcare as well). Happy to connect for weekday play dates.

M