Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Understanding labour in public hospital

harbour is offline Registered User

Understanding labour in public hospital

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the process of labour in a public hospital and when/where partners are allowed.

Do I understand correctly, that after a pregnant woman is admitted and her labour is confirmed, she is placed in a labour ward.
    No one except for her is allowed in a labour ward - no partners, no doulas, no other parties.
    Labour ward is where she is going through most of the contractions alone.

When she is diluted fully, she is transferred to a delivery room - for the actual pushing phase, where one person is allowed to accompany her.

So let's say if her contractions last for 20 hours and the actual pushing is for 1 hour, she would spend 20 hours alone and 1 hour with an accompanying person. Am I correct?

How does the accompanying person know when to join her? Do they stay in a standby mode all those (e.g. 20) hours somewhere in a waiting room?

Thank you

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by harbour View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to understand the process of labour in a public hospital and when/where partners are allowed.

Do I understand correctly, that after a pregnant woman is admitted and her labour is confirmed, she is placed in a labour ward.
    No one except for her is allowed in a labour ward - no partners, no doulas, no other parties.
    Labour ward is where she is going through most of the contractions alone.

When she is diluted fully, she is transferred to a delivery room - for the actual pushing phase, where one person is allowed to accompany her.

So let's say if her contractions last for 20 hours and the actual pushing is for 1 hour, she would spend 20 hours alone and 1 hour with an accompanying person. Am I correct?

How does the accompanying person know when to join her? Do they stay in a standby mode all those (e.g. 20) hours somewhere in a waiting room?

Thank you
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Yes, this is the correct process. Many members will hire a doula/midwife and try to labour at home as long as possible.

The nurses are monitoring you in the Labour ward and will inform your husband on your progress. They do give him ample warning to get suited up.

Would recommend attending Annerley's free info sessions.
    https://annerley.com.hk/index.php/Product/631.html
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002