Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Best price quality OB&G in Hong Kong Island

CKP
    CKP is offline Registered User

Best price quality OB&G in Hong Kong Island

Hello!

I am looking for a good OB&G who's not too pricy.
    I see the prices ranging from 300$-1500$ per consultation...
    According to mid-wives, my birth should be fairly straight forward.
    I am due with a second baby in August 2020. This time I am considering giving birth in the private sector.

My first birth was in QMH last year and I had a really good experience.
    Honestly the public sector has a very good price vs quality choice of birth.
    However at the moment, mid-wives aren't seeing the situation getting better...
    All birth in public hospital is alone/ unaccompanied now and they are evaluating the situation remaining the same until summer time.

Our family don't have insurances, so any experience sharing and recommendations for the private sector would be useful at this point!

Please, please share which hospital, which OB&G helped you deliver and final price?

Thanks in advance for your info, very appreciated during this stressful time!

JWilliams is offline Registered User

Hi CKP,

I am in a similar situation, due early April and decided to go private even though we don't have insurance to make sure my husband can accompany me.

We have chosen to go with the Central Health and deliver at the Matilda hospital as, due to the situation, they have a special package on at the moment: Special Maternity Care Packages - Outbreak Response - Matilda International Hospital
    It includes the (discounted) cost of the birth, Dr. and paediatrician and so helps stop the costs from escalating! Things like epidurals etc., however, are extra (but I believe this is the case with the private sector anyways)
    I know Gleneagles has a similar package available.

We will have needed three appointments with the Dr. at Central Health (HKD 1450/apt.), the care has been friendly, informative and comprehensive and so far, there do not seem to be any hidden costs. They are also happy for you to continue with your apts. at the public hospital until closer to the big day!

So while not properly answering your questions, I hope this helps with your decision!

CKP

Hello JWilliams,

Thank you so much for sharing!
    I may opt for the same option as you :)
    As you've mentioned the best about this package is the help to keep the cost from escalating... which is frightening me!

A few extra questions for you/ Matilda package:

- Do you need to put a deposit ?
    And if you end up changing decision or got a preterm delivery (ending up in public) do they reimburse the deposit ?

- Do they assign the OB&G or you have to find one of your own who collaborates with Matilda ?
    - Do you recommend / like your current OB & G ?

- More in depth question... Do you perhaps know if that includes jaundice testing for the newborn?
    (My first baby had jaundice and I am wondering what's the cost of the stay in the incubator for the newborn... As this can be an additional pricey item)

Early April is pretty much now!! I hope you have a smooth a speedy delivery! All the best

JWilliams is offline Registered User

Hi CKP,

Glad I could help! Yes, April is fast approaching, cannot believe where the time has gone!!!

To answer your questions:

Do you need to put a deposit ?

No we did not need to put down a deposit (you do if you choose to go with Gleneagles). You do pay HKD 20 000 on admission to the Matilda.

And if you end up changing decision or got a preterm delivery (ending up in public) do they reimburse the deposit ?

We were told for the Matilda that if you end up delivering elsewhere then they simply cross your name off the list - there are no penalties etc. For Gleneagles you get reimbursed if you do not deliver with them for medical reasons (from my understanding, my knowledge of Gleneagles is not as comprehensive as we chose the Matilda!)

- Do they assign the OB&G or you have to find one of your own who collaborates with Matilda ?

I actually found out about the package deal through Central Health (https://www.centralhealth.com.hk/) and emailed their midwives ([email protected]) who have sorted everything out for us. They assigned us an OB&G (I assume based on availability) but we also had no preferences at that point so did not request any one in particular.

- Do you recommend / like your current OB & G ?

Yes - we have seen both Dr. Edwin Tam and Dr. Christina Hui. We were originally assigned to Dr. Tam but he is now in quarantine until the 6th April (I am due on the 3rd!) so they reassigned us to Dr. Hui. Both Drs. are very friendly, understanding and more than happy to chat and discuss concerns with us. We have only met each Dr. once but it was a positive experience with both!

- More in depth question... Do you perhaps know if that includes jaundice testing for the newborn?
    (My first baby had jaundice and I am wondering what's the cost of the stay in the incubator for the newborn... As this can be an additional pricey item)

Sorry this I do not know-BUT we were told that if there are complications with me or the baby then we could ask to be transferred to QMH (where we were originally going to deliver) to stop costs escalating.

Good luck with your decision and all the best!

CKP

Thank you so so much, the information is very useful!!!

As I approach my due date I highly think I'd opt for Matilda too :)
    I love the fact that they seem to be very helpful at keeping the cost reasonable.
    Which was my fear, because as soon as complication kicks in... Seems like there is no end to the bill escalating.

All the best to you and your family too!