Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Homemade Diaper Wipes

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Do *not* put lavender oil or tree tea oli directly on your skin or your baby's skin.!!!

They must be diluted into a carrier oil or into water.

cinnamon is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by happymom2006
    what are the kinds of essential oils that can be used on baby? i know sweet almond oil is ok but is lavender or tea tree oil appropiate to be used directly on baby's skin? i do my own wet wipes too. i buy suzuran big cotton squares, fold them like commercial wet wipes, and i soak them in cool boiled water. i use them for everything - wipe bb's hands, face, mouth and patpat. anyone do the same?
    Yep I do the same.
    I used to use cotton balls and water but it is just too small for the size of the mess! so I changed to commercial wipes.
    Baby had bad nappy rash and no cream seemed to help.
    A friend suggested the suzuran squares and it seemed to help the nappy rash clear up! (was it the change to water only? or just a natural healing time?)
    I put the wipes in a plastic box with a resealable lid and add enough cool boiled water to dampen them (just easy for me to tip out the water from the kettle)

DTHY is offline Registered User
    I used to make my wet wipes too. I used cotton wool rolls (the big ones, size of a roll of paper towel) which are available at all local drug stores. Cut and stretch the cotton into the desired size and thickness and just add cool boiled water to it. You can put the wipes in a zip-lock bag and then put the bag in a plastic container, then you can take the wipes for use outside.

As for nappy rash, I find that Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is an excellent barrier ointment and remedy. Every time I change my son's nappy, after wiping and cleaning, I just put Vaseline on the creases and his bottom. He's 2 yrs and 4 months and he's never had a serious case of nappy rash. There were a few times when he had a very mild rash and that was when we didn't put enough Vaseline on him.
    Last edited by DTHY; 10-02-2006 at 10:03 AM.

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    What are suzuran squares? Where are they bought from?

jwng is offline Registered User
    I use Suzuran Squares dipped in water. too. Cleans better than Wet Ones.

Pinemarten,
    Suzuran is a brand of cotton pad specially made for babies. the pads are the size of a hanky and you can cut them to your preferred size. They are softer than cotton pads (for make-up wipes) and no fibers left on skin than ordinary cotton balls.

I buy them at Mannings for 27hkd, lasts for a few weeks.

Thanks jwng :) Sounds like a handy tip.

For anyone else who's looking the Suzuran "baby cleaning cotton" is available at the mannings in IFC (probably all other mannings too, but it's just nice to know one place for sure!).

I also picked up some almond oil at Fanda, Worldwide House.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    For cloth nappy users, using cloth wipes is no added effort. I do this, keep a stack of cloth wipes on the change table with a spray bottle of water that gets changed regularly (daily for a newborn of course).

You can use cheap face washers or cut up towels or anything similar for cloth wipes.

If you're not already doing nappy laundry I think using cloth wipes would be a bit too much effort though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12