Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bi Lingual?

Janine is offline Registered User

Growing up abroad is a wonderful opportunity for our kids. I speak 3 languages fluently myself and have basic knowledge in two more, but I had to learn it the hard way in school and spending time abroad while in College.
    I started taking a Cantonese class at the YWCA, but I have to admit that it's really hard as it is such a different language. Because of this I would love for my 4 month old baby to get some regular exposure to Cantonese, so that he can pick it up just by playing etc.
    Is there any Cantonese playgroup around Mid-Levels who would like to take us in?
    Janine

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Janine,

If you can't find a formal Cantonese playgroup, you might try going to some playgrounds in Victoria Park or elsewhere and just start making conversation w/ the other mamas and babies. Say thinks like

"Hou Q" and "Lei-go BB gei do yuet?" will start things off. Maybe your YMCA instructors can suggest some useful phrases.

If you really want to improve your Cantonese, move to an area w/ fewer foreigners than mid-Levels, youy'll have more opportunity to practice. :)

But it was only going to Cantonese medium nursery school and kindergarten that really got my kids Cantonese to be better.

shri is offline Administrator

Some great posts on BatGung.Com

http://www.batgung.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29

and some great cartoons on the Lily Wong site

http://humorist.net/lilywong/archive/arc980810.htm

Enjoy.

Roger is offline Registered User

There is a place in Shenzhen not too far from the Huanggang Customs where one can learn Mandarin. The company is called Gonghe Yijia, and the boss'name is Zhang Min,and she speaks English. Her number is +86 755 8381 8880.
    I am also fluent in Mandarin and act as an interpreter on a fairly regular basis, but I don't teach the language at present.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top