Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Formulas

rani is offline Administrator

Formulas

D s on a feeding frenzy and I've used up all my expressed milk stash.

I'm thinking of supplementing with formula. Which follow-on formula do the Drs recommend?

Thanks
    Rani

Gunjan Kapur is offline Registered User
    Hi Rani,
    A very Happy New Year to you.

Formula Milk:A lot of doctors suggest a gradual shift from breast to formula. You can start with soya formula..ISOMIL is good and is used most by moms in HK..after trying a month or so with soya milk you can graduate to NAN(I think by nestle) . Malika is now 17 months is now on fresh milk - Nestle Dairy Farm. She has milk with corn and rice flakes now.

Also try giving D mashed banana(without seeds) and organic dates(boiled , peeled and mashed )with some of your expressed milk. This recepie tastes great and is iron rich ...highly recomended for infants with growing appetites!!
    Take care

Gunjan

Rohini is offline Registered User
    Hi Rani. You'll get a million different opinions about which milk to give D. I would call your pediatrician and ask him because only he'll know what's best for your son.

I'm sure the Dr. will ask you a few questions and look over his history. You don't want to give him something that will not agree with him and cause a disruption to his schedule.

The worst thing you can do is give him one formula now and change to another.

Judi is offline Registered User
    How old is your baby ? If you are away just during the day for a few hours and he is already eating solids and water maybe you can get away without having to give formula --- just nurse him more when you are with him. Judi

lenima is offline Registered User

Formula--after age 1, cow milk or formula?

The formula that I used for my child is the Enfamil series. Until 6 months, "Enfamil A+"; then Enfapro til now (15 months); then we will give her the next one, i ithink "Enfagrow".

I know several people who use the same brand, and in the hospital where Leni was born (Prince of Wales) they used Enfamil also for new babies (as well as one or two other brands I can't remember). So I think this is a trusted brand.

Even if you continue breastfeeding, it is not a bad idea to "introduce" formula to your baby--for backup at times when you don't have enough expressed milk, or when you are away from the baby for whatever reason. Also, for when you want to wean her from the breast.

One question: does anyone know whether it is better to give the baby cow milk or formula milk, from age 1 to age 2? For now, we have been giving our baby formula milk still. I've been going on the assumption that formula milk is better than cow milk, though my relatives in the US just give cow milk rather than formula to the babies after age 1.

Doris

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I knew I would get in trouble with Judi for thinking about giving D formula..:)

D is now 6 months and we started solids a few weeks ago and he does drink water.

I did ask my Dr about formula last month and she wouldn't hear of it. She's pro-BFing and she told me to continue as is.

Hes not been sleeping well these last couple of weeks and I'm not sure if its teething related or hunger. I thought I'd try supplementing and see if it helps. So I gave him a couple of spoons of Enfamil yesterday and he gagged on it.

We've got our 6-mth checkup tomorrow so we'll have to see what the Dr says.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by rani; 01-06-2003 at 11:38 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Well D is sleeping better these last few days thanks to a change in my diet....;)

We had our 6-mth check-up this week and I asked about weaning once again. The Dr convinced me to wait a few more mths. :)
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

lenima is offline Registered User

book re: weaning

Hi Rani,

I think it is great that you have breastfed your baby so long already (this is longer than most in Hong Kong) and will continue breastfeeding for a while. I breastfed Leni up to about 14 months. It took about one to two months to "complete" it--I did experience a bit of pain along the way, though Leni coped fine.

Just wanted to mention to you this book which was very helpful to me, esp. when I couldn't figure out how to solve my problem and almost gave up on weaning. I highly recommend it. It was lent to me for a month by the La Leche League. It tells you about different considerations when trying to wean while working, or weaning at different ages of the baby. There are examples of what different problems mothers had and how they coped.

The Nursing Mothers Guide to Weaning by Kathleen Huggins

best
    Doris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast