Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Do you use cot bumpers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Do you use Cot Bumpers?

motherOF2 is offline Registered User
    I've used one for my daughter since she was a month old. It's been more than a year and I think she got used to having one in her bed. I tried removing it once but she got her feet stuck between the bars, so I've put it back again. Ours is actually very soft padding (spongey) and it goes around the cot. I tuck one end between the mattress and the cot and tie up the other end. I've noticed that she likes to sleep against the bumper at times.

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User
    My son is nearly 17 months old now but we did use them from 5 months onwards when he started to roll around. I have to say that they do provide some protection but really can do without. I didn't like how I couldn't see through the gaps as someone mentioned. From 8 months on they were pretty much an accessory, my son kept pulling at it and got it all out of place and defeated the purpose. I don't think it really hurts that bad even if they do occasionally bang their heads against the cot, it's just mother nature for us to worry about every little thing and for them to hit anything harder than a pillow is like hitting their head on a brick wall. We had our son sleep in our bed since he was 7 months old so to sum it up, in my experience...it didn't do much for my bubby.

JoTs is offline Registered User
    I never used one with my son who is now 2 because firstly, the danger of suffocation or strangulation if they loosen and the baby’s head comes into contact with them, and secondly, that by restricting the flow of air in and out of the cot they may contribute to the baby overheating.

I read that when they become old enough for the above not to be a problem, they should be removed altogether once a baby is sitting, as it may be used as a lever to climb out.

So I never bothered - my son never got stuck or hurt... there are regulations about how far apart the cot bars should be, so I bought a cot from a reputable company and left it at that.

Nula is offline Registered User
    I used an Airwrap cot bumper made from mesh. It was/is a godsend!

http://www.productreview.com.au/show...?item_id=32364

hol
    hol is offline Registered User
    We use the bumpers and I was worried he would use them as a foot step now that he is almost 2 but the only thing that has happend is he has broken the ties and the bumper really does not provide that much of a step. Since the ties broke, I took it out and now, I am CONSTANTLY searching under the crib looking for his passifer that has fallen through the slates, needless to say, I am fixing the ties and putting it back in!!

donkey is offline Registered User
    My boy is 5 1/2 months old now and we didn't use bumper. However, he keeps having his hand stuck between bars so we are now trying to find a solution for it (without bumpers)...No luck yet!

donkey is offline Registered User
    Nula, where did you buy your Airwrap?

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    there is a risk with using bumpers. my midwife suggested weaving a t-shirt / blanket in and out of the slots if you find that your baby's leg is constantly getting stuck in it. We do that when we travel. My 7 month year old son can now stand in his crib so we've moved the bumper to the backside, the side closest to the wall (our crib is positioned horizontally) so in case he falls back, he has some sort of cushion.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast