Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Do you use cot bumpers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Do you use Cot Bumpers?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I have cot bumpers but I can't figure out when to use them. In the beginning, you're told not to b/c newborns can't turn their heads yet and the danger of suffocation is high. (Also there is the increased danger of SIDS.) When they get older, you worry about them using the bumpers as levers to climb out.

So is there an appropriate window when it is okay to use them?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we stopped using them once my son could stand up - around 5 months. he would tear down the cot bumper so we didn't see the point of using it. we also just had UK one that only went half way around the cot anyways. he never had a problem with injuring himself either....

MLBW Guest
    Never used them. Baby moved a LOT in his sleep--once he could crawl he full-on crawled in his sleep and yes, he did hit the side of the crib a few times--but he really outgrew that stage quick (maybe 2 weeks). Just felt like they were kind of pointless except for decoration and the fact that they could be dangerous made it even that more pointless to put them in.

carang is offline Registered User
    "you're told not to b/c newborns can't turn their heads yet and the danger of suffocation is high."

i find this quote interesting... if a newborn is not strong enough to turn his head, how in the world is he going to pick himself up and move 12 inches to the side of the cot and put himself back down again right up against the side of the cot and suffocate on the bumper? besides, if you follow the current recommendations, babies should be put down on their backs, so there would not be any need to lift his head...

southside852 is offline Registered User
    bumpers are actually a very American thing to use whereas in Europe, very few use them. In between using one and taking it out, we used to weave a towel in and out of the sides so our son wouldn't bang his head at night as he had a tendency to squish right up in the corners of his cot.

My son slept on his tummy after month 1 - he had reflux and we were just extra careful with him s it's the only way he got any sleep. as a result, he had a really strong neck and back muscles and could stand up in his cot at the beginning of 5 months - the bumper was then useless.

i've seen some bumpers now that are just a mesh netting which i think i would definitely consider for my next baby....

cesh is offline Registered User
    My SIL swears by Airwrap breathable mesh cot barriers - they work for her 10 month old and are safety approved in Australia. They are widely available there although I haven't yet seen them here. I think we'll go with those as well.

neshxb is offline Banned
    I didn't use any cot bumpers for my baby because I read about the SID in parenting magazines. Also I think the cot bumper decreases air circulation in the cot.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i've always used a cot bumper purely to block out the direct air circulation from the air-cond (too hot without, too cold with), so it worked well..I had those hard cylindrical pillows too, and my baby lay on her side so that her head shape would be OK and she wouldn't choke on her vomit...anyhow, that was the recommendation from QM, I know there are different theories...my daughter didn't move much so I guess it didn't make too much of a difference...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast